How is everyone staying sane during this cycle????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

datmachine

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like I'm constantly worrying about what the adcoms are thinking about and whether or not I will get in this cycle. I know each school chooses their students that they feel will be the best fit for them. I know I can only do my best and have faith... but I am worried that all of the November interviews have already been given out as well. How are you guys dealing with the stress and just staying positive?? I'm trying not to be all emotional about this.. I mean girls are emotional to begin with. I know everyone here is in the same boat and we are all striving to become succesful dentists. So what advice do you guys have?? How do you get rid of the anxiety and remain focused at a time like this?

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like I'm constantly worrying about what the adcoms are thinking about and whether or not I will get in this cycle. I know each school chooses their students that they feel will be the best fit for them. I know I can only do my best and have faith... but I am worried that all of the November interviews have already been given out as well. How are you guys dealing with the stress and just staying positive?? I'm trying not to be all emotional about this.. I mean girls are emotional to begin with. I know everyone here is in the same boat and we are all striving to become succesful dentists. So what advice do you guys have?? How do you get rid of the anxiety and remain focused at a time like this?

Honestly... I have no way of being sane this cycle... maybe its b/c its my 2nd time applying, and my only interview was last month... I am STILL nervous b/c of that interview... I mean... I know I did well, but the few things that bothered me about the interview have been haunting me day and night. The only thing that is occupying my mind right now is whether I will get in this year.

I lost hope... The only way I will regain my sanity is when I finally hear back from all of the schools, which might not be until next august. I know if I get an acceptance on Dec 1st... I will go crazy with excitement...

No matter what I will go crazy... I hope the adcoms dont see this... I know they dont want to admit a crazy guy lol :eek:

But seriously the only real way to be even remotely happy now is to keep your mind off of everything. Sports is a good way, if not, definitely being with friends and having some fun isnt bad either. Just dont stress about it... Theres not much else you can do now. Worrying wont help.

I don't think there is really any need to worry. In any case some schools have just started reviewing their files so I definitely don't believe that all of the interview offers have been extended. I just sit back, relax, do something else, and wait.

Members don't see this ad :)

You have got to learn to use SDN wisely. I know how it goes, someone posts that they received an interview and we all check our inboxes, mailboxes, and aadsas like 50 million times. Then we all ponder why we didn't receive anything yet. The best advice I can give is that when you really start feeling down or sad, take a break from SDN. When you become really obsessive, just take a break for a little while. SDN is such a great resource but sometimes, you can't help but overuse it. I hope everything turns out for the better. :)

I admit that I don't have much to worry about because I am well connected with several members of the adcoms at my #1 and #2 school. So I pass the time by making controversial comments that my adcom friends enjoy reading. They use my name and password (along with other names) to chat with people (mostly through personal messages) whom they have connected with their predents profile and their application stats. I know everyone hates a spy- but guess what- it's a lot of fun and I'm sure that many other schools use the same tactics (it's extremely easy to just "view" during your down-time). You gotta' see what the applicant's are like when they think that they are annonymous, and what kinds of things are being said about your school so that you can dispell the myths that predents have. But it's impossible to tell how many users are really adcoms on their free time so who's going to be mad at me for digging a little.:D:laugh:

quackdentist: you're right about reading up on SDN with moderation. I think lately I have been OCDing on reading all of the new posts. It's almost like an addition.

I have a question though - to those of you applying to a lot of schools do you make efforts to call every single one of them?? How often do you call?? Do you wait until you hear something from the school? Do you call only the schools that are your top choices?

I admit that I don't have much to worry about because I am well connected with several members of the adcoms at my #1 and #2 school. So I pass the time by making controversial comments that my adcom friends enjoy reading. They use my name and password (along with other names) to chat with people (mostly through personal messages) whom they have connected with their predents profile and their application stats. I know everyone hates a spy- but guess what- it's a lot of fun and I'm sure that many other schools use the same tactics. You gotta' see what the applicant's are like when they think that they are annonymous, and what kinds of things are being said about your school so that you can dispell the myths that predents have. But it's impossible to tell how many users are really adcoms on their free time so who's going to be mad at me for digging a little.:D:laugh:

Hey, since your a spy, would you mind reporting how awesome Dentisting (me) is... Maybe they will see the light, and send me a surprise email or something. :thumbup:

Do the schools keep note of every time you call?? Does it help your chances of getting in if you call several times to show your interest?

quackdentist: you're right about reading up on SDN with moderation. I think lately I have been OCDing on reading all of the new posts. It's almost like an addition.

I have a question though - to those of you applying to a lot of schools do you make efforts to call every single one of them?? How often do you call?? Do you wait until you hear something from the school? Do you call only the schools that are your top choices?

To be honest, I don't know how helpful calling schools are. Maybe it differs for different schools. I have called schools before to ask if my application is complete. Sometimes, I also ask if there is any chance of receiving an interview spot before December 1st if granted an interview soon. Stuff like that. I don't really make it a point to suck up to the administration people. Just call if you have questions that you feel are relevant. Pm me if you have any more questions. I totally know where you are coming from. :)

quackdentist:

Yesterday I tried calling the 6/7 schools that didnt reply to me. I called Nova, and the lady seemed extremely annoyed by my call. I was asking about my status, and I also asked about interviews, she said that there will be no more interviews given before December.... That didnt bother me as much as I thought it would, but the fact that she sounded so annoyed really made me uneasy. She said my application was still under review... so at least its a good thing they havent rejected me altogether yet.

Do the schools keep note of every time you call?? Does it help your chances of getting in if you call several times to show your interest?

I keep hearing speculations like these, but I have a hard time believing that the school's admissions office likes the idea of thousands of applicants each calling several times during an application cycle. I am sure that they already have more than enough on their hands, so why would they like the idea of dealing with an extra ~50 or so phone calls everyday, and track them as well to boot?

Hey, since your a spy, would you mind reporting how awesome Dentisting (me) is... Maybe they will see the light, and send me a surprise email or something. :thumbup:

I actually wouldn't mind, considering you always have intelligent cordial things to say- but they have no idea who you are since you haven't revealed too much about yourself (no predents profile, not using names or cities in your comments).:)

I actually wouldn't mind, considering you always have intelligent cordial things to say- but they have no idea who you are since you haven't revealed too much about yourself (no predents profile, not using names or cities in your comments).:)

haha, I was joking, but I am glad that you actually considered it. I wish I had connections... Your so lucky! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
It is much less stressful the second time around. At least for me it has been. I think the only way to stay sane is by keeping your focus on what you have to do between now and December 1 to be admitted also try keeping things in perspective, there are worse moirai to happen upon in this world then waiting to find out if you will make the cut.

The difference here is whether the school is public or private. Public schools have quota, a much lower salary, and aren't so concerned about gathering students who will be loyal to them. The private school that I will be attending charges more but keeps their students happy (it pays to have happy alumni when you are fund-raising- an essential part of staying in business.) So at public schools you will mostly be annoying them by calling but some public schools will gladly take a student with slightly lower stats who in forever obsessed with his school because they treated him so well.

StayinNCali: Since you said you know a couple of adcoms personally, does that mean you're pretty much set for an acceptance?? If so, does this happen often?

I wish i knew some adcoms personally, I'm pretty sure that would help just a little on getting some interviews

StayinNCali: Since you said you know a couple of adcoms personally, does that mean you're pretty much set for an acceptance?? If so, does this happen often?

I admit that I set out to get connected from the start- and they don't mind knowing this: we have genuine relationships based on much more than their influence in the school. But a good friend of mine who is already practicing said that there is so much politics in these large businesses that if you really want a school- intern for someone on the adcom and keep that relationship alive until they can write you a great LOR. Since these relationships have become much more than MY USING THEM they don't resent this at all- they know that every predent who approaches them has this in mind. The KEY is living near the school that you want to attend. Most predents don't have this advantage. Knowing tons of alumni can be influential too- and they are easy to meet just ask them for a job shadow. Do you think the kids of major program-contributors ever have problems with admission?

Where do you even start to intern with an adcom? Does that entail dental assisting for them? I feel like most dentists out there do not want dental assistants who are not certified. So if that is the case, what makes an adcom willing to take a pre-dental student as an intern. Espcially, considering the fact that so many students are trying to find ways to help their chances of getting in. Also, how do you know who's an adcom or not? I had an impression that there are different faculty members on the committee from year to year.

Are private schools biased if your parents don't have high salaries?

Are private schools biased if your parents don't have high salaries?[/quote]

The reality in this world is that Money gets the job done! Their salary means nothing- how much they donate to the school is a different matter. "Interning for" and "shadowing a dentist" are on opposite ends of the spectrum. An internship can be set up by yourself (just find the right dentist) but 70% of dentists will agree to a shadow if you just ask them politely and call back a few times if needed.

If people are actually donating money to dental schools just so that they will have a for sure acceptance than that is totally unacceptable. Buying your way to become a dentist is just an easy way to get in, but nothing in life is worth having unless you put forth great effort. Life is not meant to be easy, but knowing that you have earned what you have worked so hard for is priceless.

Hopefully my super-long reply to your private message helped you see the difference between long-term major alumni investments which keep the schools alive, and one-time "shady" bribes.

Are private schools biased if your parents don't have high salaries?

I hope this comment isn't really necessary, but nothing of your parent's salary goes into any part of your admissions. Also, during the financial aid presentation at my other (private school) interview, the coordinator explained how financial aid is not based off your parents' income, but yours (ExpectedFamilyContribution is a lot different for grad school)