Reapplying after receiving 5 interviews this past cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovetwonap

Reaction score
Hi,

I applied this past cycle and received 3 waitlists from MWU-IL, Roseman, & UNE on December 15. I was rejected from UF and ATSU-AZ, and both of these were post-December interviews.

My cGPA is 3.39 and my sGPA is 3.13. My DAT is a 21 with a 20 TS. I have solid volunteering and shadowing hours, and I'm about to start my job as a dental assistant.

I know I have to increase my GPA to have better chances this upcoming cycle but I'm not sure if I should do a DIY post-bacc or master's. I just graduated and I need to decide quickly if I'm gonna take classes this summer. If I choose to do a DIY post-bacc, should I just take science courses at my local community college?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the common denominator here is your interview skills. 5 schools thought you were academically qualified to succeed at their school, but you just didn’t impress them enough during the interview to get an A. Are you still on the schools waitlists? If they’re privates you might have a decent chance for a call with 5 schools. I would reach out and see where you are on the waitlist or if schools can give you feedback on your application for improvement.

While your gpa is on the lower side, obviously schools thought otherwise so they saw something in your app. If I had to recommend anything it could maybe be a speech class, leadership course, or a leadership role to help with the communication skills.

You could reapply to the schools you were waitlisted at but they will expect improvement. So doing something to help with interview skills will show them you are learning and improving yourself!

Reactions: 2 users
Agreed... you did really well with 5 interviews! I know the end result is disappointing, so I agree that increasing your GPA may help, but it wasn't enough to deter schools from interviewing you. Find out from the schools if you can whether the GPA was an issue at final file deliberations, and ask your questions about taking courses at your local CC with them. I wouldn't recommend it unless you really have no other financial alternative. Let's hope that at least one of the three waitlists left becomes an offer for you.

5 interviews and you didn’t get one acceptance? Just work on your acting skills and learn to shed tears on command.

But on a more serious note, do the post bacc instead of working as a dental assistant. That’s how my niece got into dental school because she partied too much her freshmen year.

Reactions: 1 users