How is GPA calculated?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asdasd12345

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may seem like a stupid question, but in Florida when you graduate with an AA from a community college and then transfer to a state uni, your GPA is reset to 0, and only the last 2 years count towards your final GPA. So you could still graduate cum laude even if you did crap at the CC. IS this the same way medical schools evaluate grades, or do they look at every single class and count them all without grade forgiveness, ect?

Members don't see this ad.

Like Pinkertinkle said, every grade you receive post-high school will be on the transcript, but if you have a trend toward increasing grades/gpa (say you did better your last 2 years as compared to your first 2 years), admissions committees will definitely take that into consideration.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
To correct myself, they want grades for college courses taken during high school too.

if i went to a college for just one semester, and i didnt want to tell them about it, would they find out?

You are supposed to tell them, if you choose to hold the withold the information and they find out, you are risking your chance to go to any medical school.

They also don't count grades from classes taken abroad if your school doesn't count the grades...

or something like that...

All I know is that my grades from a study abroad didn't count and I did pretty freakin' good that semester :mad: ouch!

Yeah asd, you have to report all your grades regardless. Your app. goes through the verification process and one's that aren't counted (ie foreign grades) get a big ol' not-equal-to sign (= with a slash).

does anyone know how the texas application service calculates GPAs? is it similar to AMCAS or AACOMAS?