How is it at the top tier programs and hospitals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustPass

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a though I had out of the blues but I was wondering how it is at the top tier programs and hospitals?
When I say how is it, I mean:
1. Are residents on top of their game all the time considering they are best of the bests? I'm sure they don't know everything but they have higher scores and generally better medical students, hence why they are at top programs.
2. Are patient outcomes better? I guess the complexity of cases can drive the outcome to be not as good but these hospitals have world renowned physicians and I assume they know how to diagnose/treat certain conditions better.
3. Not just the physicians but are nursing better? are they happier? Are they staffed well?

I know the question is rudimentary but I'm just curious if any one has any insight to my not so important wondering thoughts/questions.

Members don't see this ad.

It’s really not about tier of the institution but the type of hospitals you rotate at and the culture that will determine your experience.

Large county hospitals will be hard, private hospitals are often Cush, VA has a lot of BS, etc.

Some cultures want you to be the best resident aka you’re gonna work hard, others have a country club mentality and everyone is gone by 4. Really depends.

Reactions: 1 user
What do you define as top tier? I've worked with students, residents, fellows, and attendings from top-5 type places. They're book smart, good test takers and have an interesting resume. For IM their residents often come from big name med schools, but they're no better than top students from lesser schools. Great clinicians come from all walks of life and I've known a few bad ones that come from these places too. The hospitals and attendings are no better or worse than most major hospitals in the country, its not like they hold a magic elixir. Outcomes are a complex issue and don't tell the whole story.