Job prospects for low tier fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MandoggyDoggyish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I matched hematology/oncology at a hybrid community-academic program that is not well known and far away from my desired region (but has a good reputation in my region). My ultimate goal is to practice in California due to family reasons.

My question is: will I be able to make it back to Califronia? Just scrolling the names of attendings in major californian heme/onc private practices I see alot of fancy names (e.g. Yale, DFCI, UCSF) and the like. I am worried with low name recognition that I will have a hard time job hunting and not be able to work somewhere that is near my family :( . I used to want to pursue academics but I am afraid that this would be even more impossible so am gear shifting to private practice.

Members don't see this ad.

You’ll be able to find a job in California.

You may not able to afford the lifestyle you want in California.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So long as you're not deadset on one specific group or tumor focus (which may or may not be available when you're looking), you'll be fine. If being in a certain geographic region is the priority over those things there are tons of jobs to be found.

So long as you're not deadset on one specific group or tumor focus (which may or may not be available when you're looking), you'll be fine. If being in a certain geographic region is the priority over those things there are tons of jobs to be found.
It's hard to overstate this point.

There is a medicine correlate to the manufacturing axiom "light (or fast), cheap, strong; pick any 2". In medicine it's "location/pay/workload, pick any two". Except that sometimes you can only choose one, especially if you have a total focus on any one of them.

Reactions: 2 users