How is Kaplan Premier Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atlas80

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for materials to supplement Examkrackers, which is not sufficient on its own. How is this book? I am taking the MCAT on July 18.

I searched for threads on this but couldn't find anything, so forgive me if one exists.

Members don't see this ad.

I am looking for materials to supplement Examkrackers, which is not sufficient on its own. How is this book? I am taking the MCAT on July 18.

I searched for threads on this but couldn't find anything, so forgive me if one exists.

if you are referring to the huge blue kaplan book that has every subject in one........it is awful. i dont recommend it. there are mistakes EVERYWHERE. answer choices that dont go along with the questions, mistakes in the answer key and explanations, sh*tty drawings, pretty bad explanations, etc. etc. on top of that, they really dont give you much practice problems, just the few questions at the end of each section and the practice tests at the end (whcih aren't any good either). i dont recommend this book to anyone. although i guess you could use it as a suppement to your EK books, although im sure there is a better option out there.

Heh, that is pretty damning. What do you suggest to supplement EK?

I used the Kaplan books that were divided by section. There were BS, PS, VR, and Writing Sample books that I used. The WS book was pretty much crap (if you can't write, it isn't going to help much), but everything else seemed pretty solid. Covered lots of information in good detail, but not so much as to bog you down and not so broadly that you miss important info.

I've never seen all the Kaplan stuff in one big book, so I'm not sure how they differ. I doubt they're the same thing since I had SUCH a different experience with it than Ryserr.

Members don't see this ad :)
big blue book (premier program) is the exact same, word for word, stuff that they give you when you enroll in the kaplan course (the white books)

ive heard people say that they were carbon copies before, and i compared with a friend enrolled in the course today. i believe however that the white books have more questions.

the organic chemistry seems more in depth than the EK books. and as for verbal theres not much, but then again no book really has a lot for verbal.

in any case, the book is fine. i am using it as my main book (with EK complete package as secondary), and although there are a few mistakes here and there (every book has these, hello?) it's not like the mistakes are blatantly wrong concepts like f=mv or something ******ed.

it's not a god awful book as ryserr posts, i know a friend that used that book exclusively and got 98th percentile. so yea :/

everyone criticizes everything, people have preferences, take it all with a grain of salt.

I'm using the big blue (though it looks more purple to me :p) book too right now. From what I've read so far, it seems pretty good to me. The information is sticking, so that makes me happy. I'm trying to read through this book in a few weeks then start the EK 10 week home study plan. I'm a dummy though, I bought the updated version because it now comes in full color :rolleyes:. This was a bad idea. This book is like 99% identical to last years version. I even caught the same error in both books.

I too am using Kaplan divided books (aka the big purple book split up into 4 separate books) + EK complete to supplement when I don't understand a particular subject or bomb a Kaplan topical (<70%). As many have said before, it's always good to see a subject explained from multiple angles and I've found this combo to be pretty good so far.

big blue book (premier program) is the exact same, word for word, stuff that they give you when you enroll in the kaplan course (the white books)

ive heard people say that they were carbon copies before, and i compared with a friend enrolled in the course today. i believe however that the white books have more questions.

the organic chemistry seems more in depth than the EK books. and as for verbal theres not much, but then again no book really has a lot for verbal.

in any case, the book is fine. i am using it as my main book (with EK complete package as secondary), and although there are a few mistakes here and there (every book has these, hello?) it's not like the mistakes are blatantly wrong concepts like f=mv or something ******ed.

it's not a god awful book as ryserr posts, i know a friend that used that book exclusively and got 98th percentile. so yea :/

everyone criticizes everything, people have preferences, take it all with a grain of salt.

Exactly. It is definitely not "god awful" by any means. It is a great substitute if you can't take the kaplan course. The review notes are exactly the same as the review notes from the course. The difference is that the course gives you much more practice material. I have posted a lot about the Kaplan course. If you want to know more about what I think either PM me or find one of my posts.

I like the way Kaplan's notes are organized much better than EK. And unlike EK, it is not obsessed at telling you what is on and not on the MCAT (and being wrong about it too!!!). The only part of EK that I recommend above everything else is its verbal strategies and practice.

Know the book like it is your purple bible, and do as much practice as you can and you should be okay.

This is my 2 cents. Use whatever works best for you.