How is LECOM MMS or Post Bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kouneko

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Predents on SDN have always suggested Rutgers, Barry's, BU OHS, Tufts, WesternU just to name a few for post bacc/master's but I don't see anyone mentioning LECOM? It seems that their post bacc and the new MMS program will guarantee interview if you achieve a 3.0 in the program... Does anyone have experiences with them?

Members don't see this ad.

Just finished the LECOM post bac program a few weeks ago, (I got in, I'll be attending LECOM in July). What specifically would you like to know?

EDIT: to clarify, I am going to be an MS1, I was not pre-dental. But since the post bac program is 90% the same for dental and med, I can still try to answer your general questions about the program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Just finished the LECOM post bac program a few weeks ago, (I got in, I'll be attending LECOM in July). What specifically would you like to know?

EDIT: to clarify, I am going to be an MS1, I was not pre-dental. But since the post bac program is 90% the same for dental and med, I can still try to answer your general questions about the program.
What is the class size? Is it true that you'll receive an interview if you have a 3.0 in the program with a respectable test score? How many people out of those eligible (aka received an interview at LECOM) are successfully accepted into LECOM schools?

Also, if you attend 2017-2018, and do well in the program, would you get into LECOM med/dent 2018 or 2019? When would the interview happen?

If you know about MMS as well, what are the differences between that program and the post-bacc one?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the class size? Is it true that you'll receive an interview if you have a 3.0 in the program with a respectable test score? How many people out of those eligible (aka received an interview at LECOM) are successfully accepted into LECOM schools?

Also, if you attend 2017-2018, and do well in the program, would you get into LECOM med/dent 2018 or 2019? When would the interview happen?

If you know about MMS as well, what are the differences between that program and the post-bacc one?

Thank you!

The class started at 160~170 in the fall and 135 people took the spring final. There were quite a few F's on the final and some people going into it knew they mathematically could not achieve the 3.0 overall, but could still get the certificate at the end of the program (as long as they didn't fail a class). So how many got in I'm not sure, they don't tell us. But it seems like more than 50% usually make it.

About the interview, yes. I had a 3.4 in the fall and a 501 on the MCAT and got an interview / accepted. How many interviewees get accepted? Hard to say. Anyone under a 3.4 after the fall had to wait and see how the spring semester panned out on whether or not they would be accepted, again, the administration doesn't give the students that information (not that I have seen at least).

The interviews happen in the first few months of the spring semester. If you did the post bac for 2017-2018, you would interview in January or February of 2018 (I think), and if you're accepted you start MS1 in July of 2018.

The basics are exactly as LECOM says. Get a 3.0, do well in the interview, have no behavioral issues (including off campus, if you get arrested for something you might have blown your chances) and you'll get in. It all comes down to your work ethic and personal behavior.

I don't know anything about the masters program, sorry!

Would love some feedback from dents who have done the program or currently in this program.
Most of them seem to be med.

Does the 3.0 thing apply for dental as well?

Reactions: 1 user
Would love some feedback from dents who have done the program or currently in this program.

You can post your ques in the post-bacc forum as well, for more responses!

Health Sciences Post Baccalaureate Entrance Requirements - LECOM Education System

"Those students who complete the program with at least a 3.0 GPA, pass all Post Bac classes, and achieve the required minimum on standardized exams will be guaranteed an interview at LECOM’s College of Medicine, School of Pharmacy, or School of Dental Medicine"

does anyboyd know how the federal loans and financial aid worked for this program or the DO

the real questions is does it give you a leg up in the actual interview process. i assume your predent considering where this thread is so if it only guarantees an interview, realize that they interview about 600ish people for 100ish spots.

the real questions is does it give you a leg up in the actual interview process. i assume your predent considering where this thread is so if it only guarantees an interview, realize that they interview about 600ish people for 100ish spots.

The MMS program doesnt have 600 people in it though and you're really competing with other MMS students

The MMS program doesnt have 600 people in it though and you're really competing with other MMS students

for a dental school spot? are they guaranteeing a certain number of spots will go to MMS students?

During my interview at LECOM’s dental school Shannon said that we had about a ~2% chance of being admitted whereas their masters students had more along the lines of a ~60% chance--not sure how spot on these numbers are but that's what we were told!

for a dental school spot? are they guaranteeing a certain number of spots will go to MMS students?

i have no idea!! i'm medical so I havent paid much attention to the medical

During my interview at LECOM’s dental school Shannon said that we had about a ~2% chance of being admitted whereas their masters students had more along the lines of a ~60% chance--not sure how spot on these numbers are but that's what we were told!

that doesn't sound right. maybe that 2% is how many people actually attend out of total applicants, which is like 4-5k.
But for it to be a fair comparison, it has to be interviewed/attending (even for masters).

Members don't see this ad :)
Just FYI, there is someone I know who has close to 3.0 GPA in masters program, 17-18 DAT, and 3.4 undergra GPA. he was given an interview, but was put on waitlist. So you will most likely get an interview, but that will not get you in. It's not a 100% thing, so getting an interview part isn't really a big deal if you can't follow through all the way. They will give you an interview, but if you don't have other things to show for, such as DAT, GPA, letters, etc, you will not get an automatic acceptance.

I wish everything in life would be that easy, but it isn't. If this was a close-to-guaranteed acceptance, a lot more people would be enrolled in masters program I'd think.

Just FYI, there is someone I know who has close to 3.0 GPA in masters program, 17-18 DAT, and 3.4 undergra GPA. he was given an interview, but was put on waitlist. So you will most likely get an interview, but that will not get you in. It's not a 100% thing, so getting an interview part isn't really a big deal if you can't follow through all the way. They will give you an interview, but if you don't have other things to show for, such as DAT, GPA, letters, etc, you will not get an automatic acceptance.

I wish everything in life would be that easy, but it isn't. If this was a close-to-guaranteed acceptance, a lot more people would be enrolled in masters program I'd think.

Did this student end up getting into the dental program to start this July?

I was in the 2016-2017 post bacc program (Pre-Dental) and we were 12 Pre-Dental students. 3 students finished the program, only 1 got accepted. Would not recommend. This program is mainly focused for premeds, they don’t really know anything or try to help you. I don’t know if that changed last year but that’s my own personal input.

Do you know the difference between the Post Bac and the MMS programs at LECOM? Is one or the other a better path to help you get accepted to LECOM Med, if you are coming in with a 3.0 GPA from undergrad from a competitive school?

I did the post bac last year and now I’m a D1. It wasn’t easy and I didn’t do well the first semester, but once you figure out the best way to study for yourself, things fall into place like they did for me in the second semester. It has also been highly beneficial for me for my D1 year since I’ve seen 75% of the material we are going over this semester. Nothing comes easy, you have to work for what you want and this program is entirely doable if you put 110% of your mind to it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I interviewed at LECOM very recently and I believe they told us that they had 13 D1's with a masters and 7 of them were from the LECOM MMS. I'm not 100% positive about those numbers, but I am positive that it's a great option for you. They are a super friendly school and genuinely want all of their students to succeed. Don't be shy to email them for more information.

how challenging was the program?

At what point do you send in your transcripts? I filled out the inquiry form, then the application, but it never asked me about my GPA, courses, transcripts or anything. Just my DAT scores and other information (personal statement etc). Do we get an email with instructions? If anyone has any insight - that would be much appreciated. :)

P.s: I emailed Jmurphy and waiting on a response.

I did apply for the MMS program, after paying the $50 fees. They sent me an email that my application is being processed and I need to send my letter of recommendation, test scores and official transcripts to this address:
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
Attention: Office of Admissions - MMS Program
5000 Lakewood Ranch Blvd.
Bradenton, FL 34211