How is my outlook?

Started by Chunkst3rz
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Chunkst3rz

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Greetings,

I recently graduated from Stony Brook University with a degree in Health Sciences. I was a biology major for the majority of my undergrad so I took on unnecessary courses (ie. Orgo 1&2) that have dragged down my cGPA to a 2.93. I don't know what my pre-req GPA is, but I am confident it is above a 3.0 ~ 3.2. I am also a certified Adapted Aquatics Aide (water therapy w/ severely disabled individuals) from a course at SBU. I was ultimately hoping to find a job upon graduation, but the market outlook is bleak so I have decided to pursue my original goal of DPT school. I have taken all of the pre-requisites for DPT, however I have just started to get my observation hours at an outpatient clinic and have yet to take the GRE.

I've researched schools on PTCAS and saw that there are a number of schools which have late deadlines (ie. Touro U Nevada, MCPHS). I am especially interested in Touro U Nevada and their program profile on PTCAS has me optimistic about fulfilling all my requirements in time before the deadline.

Do you guys have any advice or input on my current situation? I understand that this is a very slim window and am prepared for the worst. If all else fails, I have planned to retake a few courses (boost GPA), finish my Biology minor, and get more observation hours and apply next cycle. I would love to hear your inputs and goodluck to all who have applied/accepted.

Cheers!
 
Touro University Nevada has more lax requirements(i.e. lower GPA minimum) than a lot of other PT schools. You may have a chance of getting in there. MCPHS is a new program so you may also have a chance there. The newer programs tend to have more lax requirements. If you are looking for other schools to apply to as well to better your chances, you might want to try some of the programs that are newly accredited / about to be accredited because they would probably not be as competitive as the average program. Your GPA is a little low for the average programs.

http://www.capteonline.org/programs/developing/pt/
 
Do you guys have any advice or input on my current situation? I understand that this is a very slim window and am prepared for the worst. If all else fails, I have planned to retake a few courses (boost GPA), finish my Biology minor, and get more observation hours and apply next cycle. I would love to hear your inputs and goodluck to all who have applied/accepted.
Cheers!

The worst case scenario is applying for the 2015-2016 cycle. That's not a big deal. In fact, if I were you, I wouldn't apply this year and just focus on getting as many hours as possible in various settings, and fixing that p-GPA. You'll have a chance at some schools but not many. If you have an extra $500, then go ahead and apply.