SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

How is my school list?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by DaveMD, May 26, 2008.

1. DaveMD

May 26, 2008
    What do you guys think of my list? Here is some relevant information
    MCAT: 38P (11V, 13BS, 14PS)
    cGPA: 3.6
    ECs: nothing special, but a fairly decent list

I think where my application really suffers is from a lack of volunteering, limited research experience (just this summer and the coming school year) and my mediocre cGPA.

I should also point out that I am a canadian applicant.

Here is my list:
    Albert Einstein
    Case Western
    Johns Hopkins
    Saint Louis
    SUNY Upstate
    University of Chicago
    University of Pennsylvania
    Wayne State

I feel like I am applying to too many top tier schools and not enough mid-tier. But at the same time, I really don't have any clue as to which I should cut out or which mid-tier schools I should add.

Also, I feel like my interviewing skills are fairly good and I'm more worried about getting interviews than acceptances. So I guess the best question is, do I have a reasonable shot at getting interviews at these schools? Or should I remove some that I have no chance?

What do you guys think?

Thanks for your help!
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. DaveMD

May 26, 2008
    I also had one more quick question. Unfortunately for me, I didn't get all of my marks for this past year until last friday. As a result, I couldn't request a transcript until today. So I don't think there is any chance AMCAS will receive my transcript before early next week (and I won't be able to submit my application until the week after). Is the lateness of my application going to hinder my chances of getting acceptances? Or is 2 weeks late not really a big deal?
  4. SilentNight

SilentNight 7+ Year Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Submitting your application during June-July is considered early, so don't fret too much about being 2 weeks late. Importance are the secondaries, make sure once you get them finish them early.

With the school list, I am not too sure about Canadian residents, but I hear its tougher on you. Your MCAT score is definitely good and should land you a few interviews.

If money is not an option for you then I would recommend adding a few other private schools like NYMC, Drexel, VCMU, etc. If you desire to be a doctor and not worry too much about the name.

Anyway good luck with your application! :)