How is my school list?

Started by DaveMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DaveMD

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What do you guys think of my list? Here is some relevant information
MCAT: 38P (11V, 13BS, 14PS)
cGPA: 3.6
ECs: nothing special, but a fairly decent list

I think where my application really suffers is from a lack of volunteering, limited research experience (just this summer and the coming school year) and my mediocre cGPA.

I should also point out that I am a canadian applicant.

Here is my list:
Albert Einstein
Case Western
Columbia
Dartmouth
Duke
Harvard
Johns Hopkins
Northwestern
Saint Louis
SUNY Upstate
University of Chicago
University of Pennsylvania
Vanderbilt
Washington
Wayne State
Yale

I feel like I am applying to too many top tier schools and not enough mid-tier. But at the same time, I really don't have any clue as to which I should cut out or which mid-tier schools I should add.

Also, I feel like my interviewing skills are fairly good and I'm more worried about getting interviews than acceptances. So I guess the best question is, do I have a reasonable shot at getting interviews at these schools? Or should I remove some that I have no chance?

What do you guys think?

Thanks for your help!
 
I also had one more quick question. Unfortunately for me, I didn't get all of my marks for this past year until last friday. As a result, I couldn't request a transcript until today. So I don't think there is any chance AMCAS will receive my transcript before early next week (and I won't be able to submit my application until the week after). Is the lateness of my application going to hinder my chances of getting acceptances? Or is 2 weeks late not really a big deal?
 
Submitting your application during June-July is considered early, so don't fret too much about being 2 weeks late. Importance are the secondaries, make sure once you get them finish them early.

With the school list, I am not too sure about Canadian residents, but I hear its tougher on you. Your MCAT score is definitely good and should land you a few interviews.

If money is not an option for you then I would recommend adding a few other private schools like NYMC, Drexel, VCMU, etc. If you desire to be a doctor and not worry too much about the name.

Anyway good luck with your application! 🙂