How is my school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaveMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of my list? Here is some relevant information
MCAT: 38P (11V, 13BS, 14PS)
cGPA: 3.6
ECs: nothing special, but a fairly decent list

I think where my application really suffers is from a lack of volunteering, limited research experience (just this summer and the coming school year) and my mediocre cGPA.

I should also point out that I am a canadian applicant.

Here is my list:
Albert Einstein
Case Western
Columbia
Dartmouth
Duke
Harvard
Johns Hopkins
Northwestern
Saint Louis
SUNY Upstate
University of Chicago
University of Pennsylvania
Vanderbilt
Washington
Wayne State
Yale

I feel like I am applying to too many top tier schools and not enough mid-tier. But at the same time, I really don't have any clue as to which I should cut out or which mid-tier schools I should add.

Also, I feel like my interviewing skills are fairly good and I'm more worried about getting interviews than acceptances. So I guess the best question is, do I have a reasonable shot at getting interviews at these schools? Or should I remove some that I have no chance?

What do you guys think?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I also had one more quick question. Unfortunately for me, I didn't get all of my marks for this past year until last friday. As a result, I couldn't request a transcript until today. So I don't think there is any chance AMCAS will receive my transcript before early next week (and I won't be able to submit my application until the week after). Is the lateness of my application going to hinder my chances of getting acceptances? Or is 2 weeks late not really a big deal?

Submitting your application during June-July is considered early, so don't fret too much about being 2 weeks late. Importance are the secondaries, make sure once you get them finish them early.

With the school list, I am not too sure about Canadian residents, but I hear its tougher on you. Your MCAT score is definitely good and should land you a few interviews.

If money is not an option for you then I would recommend adding a few other private schools like NYMC, Drexel, VCMU, etc. If you desire to be a doctor and not worry too much about the name.

Anyway good luck with your application! :)