How is my study plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmayer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I have 6 weeks after finals are over to study for step 1. I looked at some recommended study schedules and resources, and this is what I came up with. What do you think? Please suggest any books I should add or remove.

First 3.5 weeks:
- annotate First Aid 2010 with information from Kaplan Biochem lecture notes, HY Neuro, HY Behavioral, and Microbio Made Ridiculously Simple (mostly focusing on topics in First Aid)
- Read all of annotated First Aid, Goljan RR, Goljan audio, BRS physio
- Do questions from UWorld and Kaplan Qbank
- Take an NBME

Next 1.5 weeks:
- reread First Aid and Goljan RR (by body system), do lots of questions, take another NBME

Final 1 week:
- tons of questions
- cramming high yield details from micro, pharm, biochem
- reread First Aid, some parts Goljan RR
- one more NBME

Will those resources (books, Qbanks) be sufficient to get a good score (240+, hopefully 250!) or am I missing out on details? Is the Kaplan Biochem Lecture Notes enough or should I get HY Cell and Molecular Bio as well?

Is 3.5 weeks enough to annotate and read through those sources for the first pass? Is this 6 week schedule feasible?

Any other suggestions? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks! :)

(If this schedule seems good, I'm willing to flesh it out and post it for others to use)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just started a new thread with this same topic! Oops...
I like your schedule and may modify it since it takes me forever to annotate. I end up thinking it's a waste of time and give up. I also plan to use the same sources (+ HY beh sci and HY cell and molec bio). Hope people have some input...

You should spend more time doing questions. Too much reading, too little solving problems, in my opinion. But that is just me. You may study and get more out of reading than I do.

You should spend more time doing questions. Too much reading, too little solving problems, in my opinion. But that is just me. You may study and get more out of reading than I do.

would u recommend cutting out some of the books (if so which ones) or not rereading?

Members don't see this ad :)
would u recommend cutting out some of the books (if so which ones) or not rereading?

It would be awesome to get through all those books, but it is very hard to do that. You have to make that call yourself. You know what you are strong/weak at. In fact, maybe you can keep it the original form, if you can actual get through all those books, that would be awesome. I'm just saying for me, I learn a lot from doing questions. I haven't taken the exam and will be studying for it intensely for starting mid May. Good luck!:luck:

I think your plan sounds great. It was very similar to mine.

If you work hard you won't have trouble getting through all that reading. Its really going to suck, but I think its a realistic goal.

Make sure you do TON's of questions right before the exam.

I like the way your NBME practice tests are spaced out. Hopefully you will show some improvement as you go.

The week before my test I took the NBME practice test where you actually go to the center and go through all the motions. This was extremely valuable as I was able to get a feel for the environment, and check the place out. Really cut down on some anxiety. You may want to look into it, I thought it was worth the extra money.

Good luck!

It would be awesome to get through all those books, but it is very hard to do that. You have to make that call yourself. You know what you are strong/weak at. In fact, maybe you can keep it the original form, if you can actual get through all those books, that would be awesome. I'm just saying for me, I learn a lot from doing questions. I haven't taken the exam and will be studying for it intensely for starting mid May. Good luck!:luck:

I agree with Mr. Hairy. I feel like questions are the way to go. The books you outlined are tremendous and if you can get through all of them with a decent amount of questions you will be solid.

I for one need to do questions to keep busy, I'm an active learner. I need to type out notes, draw diagrams, etc.

BAHD (yes, I am giving badasshairday an acronym), do you plan on doing World twice?

I personally am making my schedule simple. I am going semi-backwards in my studying. I am diving straight into the meat or step 1.... Rapid Review Pathology. Doing one subject at a time (e.g. vascular and heart disorders), followed by the appropriate USMLE World questions (20 question blocks, tutor mode). I take notes into First Aid. After I finish (~ 2 weeks) I am going to follow with BRS Physiology along with more USMLE World questions. That way I review each organ system multiple times. As I go through BRS phys, I can review appropriate pathophysiology, essentially getting pathology again. Then I will go through Biochem in RR or Kaplan and Immuno in Kaplan, which will refresh some of the mechanisms/diseases goljan went over. By the time I get to my 5 weeks off, I will have the core stuff for step 1 studied, so I can get into Pharm and Micro, which will be a little more tedious to memorize/study. Micro I use CMMRS and Microcards. Pharm I will use Kaplan and Brenner's Cards.

I will fit in a few practice tests in between. I have 2 USMLE World assessment exams and I will throw in a NBME or 2.

Note: I have Kaplan Qbank plus, but I barely used it. I abandoned it for USMLE World. Waste of money, yes. But I had to have everything in front of me before I could figure out what I was going to do. If I have time at the end, I could use Kaplan to test general concepts, but I have my full focus on USMLE World. That qbank is RIGHT ON THE MONEY. I was amazed when I took the NBME Comprehensive Basic Science Exam how accurate USMLE World is.

I agree with Mr. Hairy. I feel like questions are the way to go. The books you outlined are tremendous and if you can get through all of them with a decent amount of questions you will be solid.

I for one need to do questions to keep busy, I'm an active learner. I need to type out notes, draw diagrams, etc.

BAHD (yes, I am giving badasshairday an acronym), do you plan on doing World twice?

i was planning on using the charts and mnemonics in CMMRS, and just adding to the topics already in First Aid for biochem, neuro, immuno, and behavioral with HY Behavioral, HY Neuro, and Kaplan Biochem. I'm not going to be reading cover-to-cover - that would probably be a waste of valuable UWorld/Qbank time. I'm only reading Goljan RR and my annotated First Aid completely (a few times) and hopefully getting through UWorld and Qbank completely

is that a good way to attack this?

Ok so I have 6 weeks after finals are over to study for step 1. I looked at some recommended study schedules and resources, and this is what I came up with. What do you think? Please suggest any books I should add or remove.

First 3.5 weeks:
- annotate First Aid 2010 with information from Kaplan Biochem lecture notes, HY Neuro, HY Behavioral, and Microbio Made Ridiculously Simple (mostly focusing on topics in First Aid)
- Read all of annotated First Aid, Goljan RR, Goljan audio, BRS physio
- Do questions from UWorld and Kaplan Qbank
- Take an NBME

Next 1.5 weeks:
- reread First Aid and Goljan RR (by body system), do lots of questions, take another NBME

Final 1 week:
- tons of questions
- cramming high yield details from micro, pharm, biochem
- reread First Aid, some parts Goljan RR
- one more NBME

Will those resources (books, Qbanks) be sufficient to get a good score (240+, hopefully 250!) or am I missing out on details? Is the Kaplan Biochem Lecture Notes enough or should I get HY Cell and Molecular Bio as well?

Is 3.5 weeks enough to annotate and read through those sources for the first pass? Is this 6 week schedule feasible?

Any other suggestions? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks! :)

(If this schedule seems good, I'm willing to flesh it out and post it for others to use)

I like your plan, but I agree with one of the above posters that annotating into FA takes forever (at least for me). I would definitely suggest starting some of your studying earlier if you can manage with classes, since those first 3.5 weeks look pretty jam-packed.

I have the same amount of time as you do, and am pretty much using the same resources that you listed. However, my goal is to have all my secondary resources (everything other than FA and RR Path) all read and annotated, if needed, into FA, by the time school ends for me (mid-May). However, with classes going on, I've realized it's too much of an ambitious goal, so I'll see how it goes...

Regarding Biochem, I purchased RR Biochem and found it to be a very, very dull read after only a few pages. I do have the Kaplan lecture notes from '05
that a friend gave to me, and I have to say I'm loving the Biochem notes. They're very easy to get through, with just the right amount of detail and focusing on the important things in Biochem that are tested -- rate limiting enzymes, enzyme deficiency diseases, etc. IMO, the Kaplan notes for Biochem would be more than enough.

i was planning on using the charts and mnemonics in CMMRS, and just adding to the topics already in First Aid for biochem, neuro, immuno, and behavioral with HY Behavioral, HY Neuro, and Kaplan Biochem. I'm not going to be reading cover-to-cover - that would probably be a waste of valuable UWorld/Qbank time. I'm only reading Goljan RR and my annotated First Aid completely (a few times) and hopefully getting through UWorld and Qbank completely

is that a good way to attack this?

I see what you are saying. The charts/mnemonics in CMMRS are money, they will probably serve as a great review.

Kaplan biochem: It is known to be probably the best biochem review. I think using it as a source to clarify FA would be good. I just want to mention that after going through Kaplan Qbank and reading the explanations, I really did NOT have to use any outside source to supplement FA thus far. And if the myths are true, World will fill any knowledge gaps.

HY Neuro: Another great book, I'm using it for images only. I think the 2010 edition of FA has beefed up the neuro section.

HY Behavioral: Great reviews on SDN. I might attack this book if I see my behavioral scores drop on NBMEs. Once again, I thought the kaplan explanations were great.

Immuno: Are you using Levinson? I hear those 70-90 pages are a tremendous review of immuno.

I think a lot of people are taking an NBME on day 1 of their study schedule, just to assess their baseline. I'm not sure if you mentioned that in your original post, but it might be worth adding to your regime.

BTW, I'm not knocking on your study schedule. Just giving input. I have talked to a ton of 3rd years at my school who have mentioned Questions being the backbone of their study schedule. :luck:

Dr. Nostran,

I plan on getting through it 100%. Then I plan on redoing my wrong answers only. I feel like that is the most efficient use of study time. :thumbup:

Cool, thanks. I am hoping to accomplish the same, redo the incorrect answers and questions flagged. I wish First aid would add a key enzyme/disorder hot list to the rapid review section. I guess I will have to make one on my own.

BTW-I am slowly falling in love with Rx now :laugh:

I see what you are saying. The charts/mnemonics in CMMRS are money, they will probably serve as a great review.

Kaplan biochem: It is known to be probably the best biochem review. I think using it as a source to clarify FA would be good. I just want to mention that after going through Kaplan Qbank and reading the explanations, I really did NOT have to use any outside source to supplement FA thus far. And if the myths are true, World will fill any knowledge gaps.

HY Neuro: Another great book, I'm using it for images only. I think the 2010 edition of FA has beefed up the neuro section.

HY Behavioral: Great reviews on SDN. I might attack this book if I see my behavioral scores drop on NBMEs. Once again, I thought the kaplan explanations were great.

Immuno: Are you using Levinson? I hear those 70-90 pages are a tremendous review of immuno.

I think a lot of people are taking an NBME on day 1 of their study schedule, just to assess their baseline. I'm not sure if you mentioned that in your original post, but it might be worth adding to your regime.

BTW, I'm not knocking on your study schedule. Just giving input. I have talked to a ton of 3rd years at my school who have mentioned Questions being the backbone of their study schedule. :luck:

thanks for the input!

I was thinking of starting off with reading the basic sciences (First Aid, Goljan, and clarification from the sources I mentioned) and then doing the corresponding Kaplan Qbank for them. At the same time, I'll be doing UWorld on random. Then I will move onto each body system and continue with the questions. I think this will help solidify the info I just read as well as keep me thinking about other subjects.

And after my first pass through, I will spend most of my time on questions with a few hours of rereading. This is basically a condensed, slightly modified version of Taus' method, which seems to have worked amazingly well for other SDNers.

I agree questions should be the backbone, but after a good review first!

thanks for the input!

I was thinking of starting off with reading the basic sciences (First Aid, Goljan, and clarification from the sources I mentioned) and then doing the corresponding Kaplan Qbank for them. At the same time, I'll be doing UWorld on random. Then I will move onto each body system and continue with the questions. I think this will help solidify the info I just read as well as keep me thinking about other subjects.

And after my first pass through, I will spend most of my time on questions with a few hours of rereading. This is basically a condensed, slightly modified version of Taus' method, which seems to have worked amazingly well for other SDNers.

I agree questions should be the backbone, but after a good review first!

You are ready to knock this test out of the park!:luck:

quick question about path:

would it be a better idea to do:
1. BRS + Goljan audio + FA
2. Goljan RR + audio + FA
3. Goljan RR + FA

obviously there is no time for both RR and BRS. I might even have to cut out some of the audio. Do the audio lectures cover the same material as his book? Any insight would be appreciated :)

Goljan RR + FA with Audio on your 'downtime'
i plan on doing the audio on my 2nd pass through the material. I scheduled it for the 1st pass, but honestly i do not have enough time and on my 1-3 hr downtime my brain needs to unwind, i can not run and listen to goljan...very unmotivating.

Audio lectures cover the same material as the book, but he highlights high yield facts. sometimes it sticks more when you hear someone say it.