How is the 2015 Psychology section being perceived by adcoms?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gannicus89

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I figure that schools will be using a conversion chart like the one Efle set up to gauge scores on the traditional 45 point scale, which leaves the Psychology section by itself. Is it like... an add-on, i.e. if you didn't do horribly, you're okay? Or will it be viewed just as important as the science sections? I'm curious because I 132'd the hell out of this section.
 
I suspect it will be viewed similarly to V/CARS, as an area where you're expected to be decent but given more slack than BS/PS. I believe when I asked Goro about this all he said was that he predicts the Bio section will continue to be king.
 
The psych section will prove to be very important over time. Most of the questions are related to interpreting research results and experimental design, which is definitely very important for doctors.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I didn't care for the concept of adding more barriers to admission, but now that I've seen the outcomes and samples of the questions, I like it. The rest of the committee tends to be be pretty adaptive too.

As long as it has a number, it will be considered important. The MCAT is the only single standard by which we can compare all applicants.
 
Piggybacking off this thread, how will applicants with an old MCAT (lacking the psychology section) compare with new MCAT takers of a similar percentile range? I know that adcoms have said that percentile scores will be used to compare, but how will the absence of a new section factor into the equation?

@gyngyn @Goro
 
Piggybacking off this thread, how will applicants with an old MCAT (lacking the psychology section) compare with new MCAT takers of a similar percentile range? I know that adcoms have said that percentile scores will be used to compare, but how will the absence of a new section factor into the equation?

@gyngyn @Goro

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/398586/data/mcatexampolicy.pdf

This link will help with that question in terms of how med schools view applicants with and without a psychology score.
 
Piggybacking off this thread, how will applicants with an old MCAT (lacking the psychology section) compare with new MCAT takers of a similar percentile range? I know that adcoms have said that percentile scores will be used to compare, but how will the absence of a new section factor into the equation?

@gyngyn @Goro
They'll compare via percentiles
 
You can't compare something that ain't there.


Piggybacking off this thread, how will applicants with an old MCAT (lacking the psychology section) compare with new MCAT takers of a similar percentile range? I know that adcoms have said that percentile scores will be used to compare, but how will the absence of a new section factor into the equation?

@gyngyn @Goro
 
As of right now, we're mulling it over.

Would you say by not being sure yet the subsection is given less weight than the other 3 sections for the time being until there is some data that shows how relevant it is and what it really indicates? I think that's what everyone wants to know(whether it is possible to know is another question); getting some rough idea of how ADCOMs handle the unknown here
 
Just throwing it out there: even though the old and new MCAT cannot be compared by the psych section (for obvious reasons,) it may play a bigger part in comparing two individuals who took the new MCAT.