How is the job market for optometry in Cali?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkieturtle

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a college grad and I got accepted into pharmacy school but after seeing many negative comments about the job saturation, I feel hopeless and scare about my future. I am thinking about switching to optometry if it is possible. Can someone give me advice? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

First thing is, what brought you from pharmacy to optometry? Was this a field that was already in the back of your mind or did you freak out and just find something that seemed interesting in the moment. Basically how much thought have you given it?
I'm currently working at an optometry office. I still applied to pharmacy because it was my first choice of career when I was in college and i didnt know that the job market is that bad for pharmacy.

I think California anything for a profession is not great either way. ~$100K as a Pharmacist or Optometrist does not get you very far in California. Optometry is still a profession you can be an owner, but in California with high lease rates (depending on area), taxes, competition it just makes it that much harder for that area.

Members don't see this ad :)
The job market is great in California but housing is expensive and so are the taxes!

SDN is not always the most positive place, but you need to remember, people on the internet don't necessarily know any more about the future of these professions than you do. Pharmacy is projected to have an oversaturation of 50,000 practitioners by 2025 (according to the NCHWA). Optometry is also projected to have oversaturation, but a smaller number, because the field is much smaller to begin with. The ratio of "excess" practitioners to "total" practitioners is still relatively comparable for both fields. This does not necessarily mean unemployment for pharmacists and optometrists, but rather part time work (30 hour work weeks). Regardless of projections, a lot is open as to what actually happens. Keep in mind, optometry is a field that is often disrupted by scientific and technological advancements. Sometimes it adapts, but sometimes it is hindered. My opinion? It's good you've allowed yourself to explore, but go with what you see fit, and make a commitment. The future is largely unpredictable, and our sense of security will always want more, it will always be fragile. Good things happen, bad things happen, regardless of the chosen profession. That really is the bottom line. So just pick :)
Thank for your reply. I have to say this is the most healing comment I've ever seen here. It is true that everything is so negative on sdn and it just makes me feel sad.

The job market is great in rural areas, not bad in major cities, and horrible in OC

Thank for your reply. I have to say this is the most healing comment I've ever seen here. It is true that everything is so negative on sdn and it just makes me feel sad.

While there is a lot of negativity on SDN, there is truth in the bad. However, so much of it is situational. You need to examine your own life and the reality of the profession you are joining. You will find a lot of common threads in the negative comments here, including painting an entire profession with the broad brush of personal experience.

One of my favorite lines is: "My friends all graduated with engineering degrees and are making 120k right out the gate with little to no debt!"

If you chose Optometry for the favorable income to debt ratio, you forgot to do your research. Many of the terrible work situations people on this site have run into are real, and very miserable. On the other hand, I work in private practice in a rural area close to family and friends. I graduated last year with a mound of student loans, which we are on track to pay off in five years, maybe six. I locked in my current job prospect by networking during my first year of school, so I knew I had a job after graduation. My wife is a nurse and worked while I was in school, and we are only recently starting our family. Housing is cheap here, and that helps immensely. Many are not in our unique situation and therefore may not find Optometry a good fit.

I would guess most ODs chose their career for certain lifestyle and professional aspects that are unique to this field. For many situations it will not be a good fit and that very much depends on how and where you practice. Some people should choose Dentistry or Engineering instead, especially if you want to be a Dentist or an Engineer. I wanted to be an Optometrist, and I'm very happy with my choice.

Reactions: 1 user
While there is a lot of negativity on SDN, there is truth in the bad. However, so much of it is situational. You need to examine your own life and the reality of the profession you are joining. You will find a lot of common threads in the negative comments here, including painting an entire profession with the broad brush of personal experience.

One of my favorite lines is: "My friends all graduated with engineering degrees and are making 120k right out the gate with little to no debt!"

If you chose Optometry for the favorable income to debt ratio, you forgot to do your research. Many of the terrible work situations people on this site have run into are real, and very miserable. On the other hand, I work in private practice in a rural area close to family and friends. I graduated last year with a mound of student loans, which we are on track to pay off in five years, maybe six. I locked in my current job prospect by networking during my first year of school, so I knew I had a job after graduation. My wife is a nurse and worked while I was in school, and we are only recently starting our family. Housing is cheap here, and that helps immensely. Many are not in our unique situation and therefore may not find Optometry a good fit.

I would guess most ODs chose their career for certain lifestyle and professional aspects that are unique to this field. For many situations it will not be a good fit and that very much depends on how and where you practice. Some people should choose Dentistry or Engineering instead, especially if you want to be a Dentist or an Engineer. I wanted to be an Optometrist, and I'm very happy with my choice.
Your situation sounds exactly like mine. Had a plan during Optometry school. Moved to a rural location. Making great money, bought a good home, paying down debt. While you hear nothing but complaining from the ODs that stick it out for 100K in So Cal or San Francisco.

Reactions: 3 users