How is the second year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbiter

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the second year of dental school. I was just wondering how other people at other schools are feeling. I feel it is a little harder. The first year was not as difficult as I felt it would be. Although with my background some of it was just review. I was a nuclear med tech for about 8 years, so I knew a lot of anatomy, pathology, etc. Has it become more competative between classmates or does everyone still help each other out? We have a pretty helpful class. It is exciting to begin to work on the manicans, and to actually hold the handpiece!! I feel like I am "beginning" to see a pinhole of light at the end of the tunnel.
Well, just wanted to see how other schools are doing-hope to hear from you. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

Personally I found 2nd year to be harder than the first as well.. In addition to all the big lecture courses we got here at the University at Buffalo (Micro and Path plus a bunch of other annoying 1- and 2-credit courses), the amount of preclinical (operative and fixed) and lab (fixed and removable) work was exhausting.

I'm finding 3rd year to be just as hard too at my school; still got a big lecture course (pharm) and a whole bunch of other 1- or 2-credit annoyance courses, but add a new dimension of stress in the form of managing our own patients, since here at UB we have 1) a somewhat limited patient pool and 2) we have to do all the patient contact, scheduling and management ourselves.

My sister who graduated NYUCD in 2000 had a completely different experience though.. After 3 semesters they were pretty much in clinic full-time (like a 9-to-5 job), and had floor secretaries to handle patient management for them. She loved her experience at NYU.

Ah vell...