how is verbal compared to aamc practice tests and other comparisons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surag

kobayashi
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is the verbal in the real deal compared to the AAMC practice tests?
I find the practice qustions to be ambiguous and difficult to interpret sometimes..im hoping ht real deal isnt so hard

also, in terms of physics, how much of that stuff in solenoids/toroids and all that i found in the syllabus will actually be on it? I dont want to waste time on that crap! Also, is it just me or do u guys think the real test is mostly understanding hte passages, applying basic concepts and ocassionally doing problems/being required to know specific knowledge? I do worse on the company tests..kaplan/EK/etc. than I do on the aamc tests...im hoping that i dont have to wrry about that!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, when I took it in april, it was very similar to aamc 7-9. There were 2 10q passages as expected and some passages were a bit more convoluted then others. Overall it had the same feel.

As far as physics is concerned, it cant hurt to go over the basics of some topics. But i feel solenoids and /toroids would be pushing it. Maybe know the concepts and functions, wouldnt waste an overwelming amount of time on it.

thats good to know...i'd appreciate any other comments people can give! It will help in my(and many others) understanding of what to expect

Members don't see this ad :)
how does the kaplan full length verbal reasoning section compare to the real test?

thanks
VP

Just a comment but the real verbal on my test of the April exam was... let's just put it, strange. I won't go into details for fear of violating the copyright agreements. I literally almost burst out laughing while reading the first passage.

vmp200 said:
how does the kaplan full length verbal reasoning section compare to the real test?

thanks
VP

I had been scoring 10's on all the Kaplan's and scored a 10 on the real thing. The writing is a little easier to comprehend but the questions are a little trickier. The curve is also much steeper (I'm guessing) on the real thing.

ChymeChancellor said:
Just a comment but the real verbal on my test of the April exam was... let's just put it, strange. I won't go into details for fear of violating the copyright agreements. I literally almost burst out laughing while reading the first passage.

You almost burst out laughing 'cause the content was funny or 'cause you came across some of the passages before on a practice test, were familiar with the passages; therefore, passages seemed easier?

ChymeChancellor said:
I had been scoring 10's on all the Kaplan's and scored a 10 on the real thing. The writing is a little easier to comprehend but the questions are a little trickier. The curve is also much steeper (I'm guessing) on the real thing.

I am not sure if you have noticed this, but on the kaplan FL's verbal section getting a 10 is much easier then getting a 10 on the real thing. Because the scale is so much larger on kaplan. Do you agree with that?

300% agree. AAMC verbal just has a different feel to it, both in the passage and questions.The scales are less lenient than Kaplan's too.

vmp200 said:
I am not sure if you have noticed this, but on the kaplan FL's verbal section getting a 10 is much easier then getting a 10 on the real thing. Because the scale is so much larger on kaplan. Do you agree with that?

I got a 9 on my kaplan diagnostic for verbal, however, my first full length was a 7. When I started doing EK, my first verbal test was a 6. Over the past 3 months, I've practiced consistently, a little with Kaplan (but then I stopped after test 3) but kept going with EK. For Kaplan I got 7, 8, 10, 11, 7 on the full lengths. I built my EK score up to a consistent 9/10. I've done 4R, 5R, 6R...and I've gotten barely a 10, a solid 10, and barely an 11, respectively on the verbal sections.

So, the moral of the story...kaplan is only good for familiarizing yourself with the humanities and philosophy passages...their questions are not representative.