1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

How is Your D1 Year Going?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by SmileItsLife, Nov 8, 2018 at 6:49 PM.

Tags:
?

D1 Year is Going....

1. Good

13 vote(s)
    54.2%
  2. Bad

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Meh

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  1. SmileItsLife

Pre-Dental
    For all the current D1's: How has your year been going? As expected? Better? Worse?

Just curious....

UConnDoIt likes this.
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PreDentRN

2+ Year Member

I would say my first semester is going as expected to better than expected. It is a higher academic workload than I am normally used to but I have found my footing and gotten into a rhythm much better than I expected. Now, at my school this is the semester that has the most free time of any semester, but it is still 26.5 hours in a semester, so it is not exactly "light academic work." However, it has not been anything I haven't been able to keep up with

SmileItsLife and Incis0r like this.
  4. ProspectivePostPreDent

Pre-Dental
    So far so good, but first block is just med school here; in a couple weeks, we're getting hit with a bunch of dental classes on top of it. I'll reserve judgement until then.

SmileItsLife likes this.
  5. DentalNucleicAcid

DentalNucleicAcid SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    It's more fun than undergrad :p The pressure of "trying to get into dental school" is no longer there and no more DAT etc. Now we're all just struggling together to get by and it's kinda nice haha. The biggest misconception I've came across so far is that you have to study everything (or almost everything) every day. You study exam by exam. So you can dedicate 2-4 days per exam without worrying about other exams most of the time. Idk how it is in other programs but there's never 2 exams on the same day and rarely 2 exams that are spaced out less than a day (usually two) apart.This is because there's communication between professors from each class and the program director, whereas in undergrad your immuno professor can care less that you have an anatomy exam on the same day as their's. One of the reasons dental school is seemingly harder (so far at least) is that there's more exams to study for, imo. And you have to balance lab (hand skills) with didactic now, it's no longer just book work. But overall, similar difficulty but more bursts of high pressure studying and less sleep.

#4 DentalNucleicAcid, Nov 10, 2018 at 10:37 AM
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 10:42 AM
    whatisit350 and SmileItsLife like this.
  6. Faux

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Got a few more months left under my belt until I graduate but I still think undergrad was harder than dental school, especially physics and general chemistry. I think the DAT was far harder than any exam I've taken since. I'm sure its an unpopular opinion. The issue with dental school is that its just a lot of material and time management.

To be fair , I did take a year off before school and was completely fine getting a 3.0 every year. So I had energy in the tank, nor did I have aspirations in becoming a oral surgeon.

7. Life of Pablo

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I really like dental school and all my classmates. It's crazy how smart and hardworking everyone is. It definitely humbles you.

8. briank99

At NYU with a 1.5hr commute and its killing my grades. Holding a B in my science stuff but just bombed a recent exam and trying to figure out what to do. I want to do OMFS but at this rate it wont be a option.

9. DentalNucleicAcid

DentalNucleicAcid SDN Gold Donor

Dental Student
    check out fifteenblades for some advice, OMFS resident from NYU

10. DynamicDental

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I feel you. I have about 1-1.5 hour commute one way as well. It has proven to impact my grades as well. It certainly can be discouraging.