How is your job performance evaluated?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueclassring

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As an upcoming graduate, I'm considering several options of my career and my job fair is coming up. How does your company(CVS, Walgreen's, Walmart, Cigna, Kaiser, Shopko, Kroger's, Fry's, Kmart, Target, Hospitals, LTC, Independents, Albertsons, Meier) evaluate your performance as a pharmacist? What characteristics are they looking at to determine your worth/bonus for that year?

Members don't see this ad.

When I was at Kroger, the pharmacists got paid bonuses based upon # of scripts...at my current hospital, they just give me $5k every year...

When I was with Kroger only the pharmacy manager got a bonus. It was the same for all managers regardless of volume. It was based on how well the company performed in relation to its yearly goals. There was nothing you could do to influence it.

I believe most corporate pharmacy chains only give a bonus to the pharmacy manager and the assitant pharmacy manager.

CVS and Walgreens may still give a small percentage of the managers bonus to the staff pharmacists since they do not have assistant pharmacy mangers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hospital staff pharmacist rarely gets a bonus. It's usually the directors and managers who get the bonus which depends on how well the hospital performed financially based on the budget. Of course this applies to "For Profit" hospitals.

One thing to remember is that Bonus is taxed heavily (40%+) and it really doesn't change your lifestyle at all... The best thing to do is don't count on getting a bonus.. and when you do get it, it's a nice small chunk of change to go spend on something stupid.

As an upcoming graduate, I'm considering several options of my career and my job fair is coming up. How does your company(CVS, Walgreen's, Walmart, Cigna, Kaiser, Shopko, Kroger's, Fry's, Kmart, Target, Hospitals, LTC, Independents, Albertsons, Meier) evaluate your performance as a pharmacist? What characteristics are they looking at to determine your worth/bonus for that year?

CVS- bonus based on store goals has nothing to do with your personal performance. Also with the economy and unrealistic goals bonuses will probably be far less than previous years.

Yearly raise supposedly has to do with your personal performance but it very subjective and a lot of times the more people are vocal about their performance and about how they deserve a raise probably get more of a raise. Its pretty much like any big compnay, the squeeky wheel gets the grease. If your an awesome pharmacist but very loyal and quiet and the DM knows this they probably won't reward you because they need to give money to the pharmacists that are threatening to quit if their not rewarded, its all political.

This is my opinion and as long as I am making at least as much as new grads I am not going to complain unless there is a huge rate difference between pharmacists and I don't think there is.

I actually think everyone should make the same amount per hour and good pharmacists should be rewarded with stock options in the company.

Last edited:
Hospital staff pharmacist rarely gets a bonus. It's usually the directors and managers who get the bonus which depends on how well the hospital performed financially based on the budget. Of course this applies to "For Profit" hospitals.

One thing to remember is that Bonus is taxed heavily (40%+) and it really doesn't change your lifestyle at all... The best thing to do is don't count on getting a bonus.. and when you do get it, it's a nice small chunk of change to go spend on something stupid.

Exactly. Never count on it or on a set amount. Be glad if you get one and blow it something stupid!

at prescriptions solutions(mail order), pharmacists get bonus based on number of rx's verified and less errors they make.

At CVS, all full time pharmacists are bonus eligible. The bonus is based on a multitude of criteria that changes each year. Their reasoning is if you follow their program and execute the plan they have set out, you will reach your goal. Once you reach your goal the amount of bonus is based the volume of prescriptions at your store.

Your annual increase is totally subjective and is based on your Pharmacy supervisors view of your performance. Do customers write letters on your behalf to corporate? They all come back top your sup. Do they complain about you? They also come back to your sup. Are you reliable? Does your PIC or staff pharmacist say good things about you.

At Rite-Aid, 50% is based on how much you improved on your Customer Score index, 25% on #scripts filled vs previous yr, and 25% on field controllable EBITA.

We get evaluated?

We get evaluated?

Yah???
You haven't worked at a retail pharmacy before? Coporate world involves lots of evaluation whether you're a pharmacist or PDM for that matter.:p

at Rite Aid, only the pharmacy managers get the bonus if any.