How is your school handling COVID?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If our rotations get cancelled and we don’t go to another clinic/hospital do we get our tuition back?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
At our school, your partner for a practical can say that they're uncomfortable having you thrust and then you just demonstrate the motion you would do instead of actually doing it.

We did a "hands on hands" thing where an instructor had their hands on top of yours to ensure proper positioning and force. Other than that we haven't been asked to do it again fortunately.

That's easy. All you have to do is say: "It's against my religion to lie to people or participate in dishonesty"

I already signed the technical standards form ;)

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
LECOM just suspended all physical classes. They're going to have us do our practicals and exams online remotely.....by honor code. This will be interesting. All our pathways are about to wrap up....most tomorrow, PBL in 2 weeks then it's on to dedicated. Should be interesting to see what they want to do about OPP practicals though.

At our school, your partner for a practical can say that they're uncomfortable having you thrust and then you just demonstrate the motion you would do instead of actually doing it.

Crap, they have us HVLA our partners on practicals all the time. Half the proctors don't even bother to reassess your diagnosis if they can hear you crack your partner....they just sign off and give you a good grade.

M1-2 online only
M3-4 business as usual, with shelfs/comats canceled....hope theyll figure something out for the fourth years that still need to take comats to graduate
Update: all rotations for 3rd and 4th year rotations canceled for 3 weeks at my school

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Just got pulled out of rotations. Kind of happy because the clinic I was in didn’t have N95 masks available...

Reactions: 2 users
Got pulled for the next couple of months. Pretty upsetting because I had a couple of electives already lined up

Online for everything now at LECOM-B

Members don't see this ad :)
OMS2 here... final 2 wks of pre-clinicals

Classes cancelled
Exams online @ home unproctored
OMM labs, OMM practical, and SP cancelled - bet they'll have us make up during start of dedicated

TCOM is doing the following:

All classes are online-only. All associated quizzes have been cancelled.
Small group sessions will be continued using Zoom.
OMM labs and associated quizzes have been cancelled.
We were originally still going to test for OMM in-person on Wednesday, but that was axed this afternoon.
Exams will be on-campus and proctored, but spread out through multiple rooms across campus to limit student-student contact.

Nova is making the M3s that got pulled from rotations to make it up during our M4 year....oh yea and they’re letting the rotation site make the decision whether or not to pull students out.

• Dislike
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Mine is closing doors on Monday after exams are over and moving classes online. The concern is how exams are going to be conducted without cheating and how OMM lab is going to go down. What's going on with your school and how are they handling these issues?

The University of Maryland extended Spring Break by a week, and has said there will be a minimum of at least two weeks of online classes afterwards. Considering most BIGTEN schools have cancelled for the rest of the semester, I have a feeling UMD will do the same.

Until what date is everyone’s schools cancelling rotations? Ours just gave notice that we may be restarting April 3

Until what date is everyone’s schools cancelling rotations? Ours just gave notice that we may be restarting April 3
I think that’s a national thing. We got the same and it was from AAMC recs. No idea what I’ll do until then but I guess this is now Step 2 dedicated time

I think that’s a national thing. We got the same and it was from AAMC recs. No idea what I’ll do until then but I guess this is now Step 2 dedicated time

Interesting and haha I am so grateful for this unexpected dedicated period XD. Silver linings

Our school has so far ignored the AAMC/LCME and AACOM/COCA req to pull students for at least the next two weeks. Some students can get out of the next two weeks if you have personal concerns. Then they told us we have April off, but will need to make that rotation up, so we either have to burn a vacation month or an audition month.

Overall I think it's been handled about as poorly as possible. Not really sure why that surprises me though, that kind of decision making should be expected from pretty much every medical school at this point.

• Sad
Reactions: 8 users

AACOM has recommended a 2-week suspension of rotations, but no mandate has been issued requiring schools to remove students from rotations on either the AAMC or AACOM to the extent of my knowledge.

AACOM has recommended a 2-week suspension of rotations, but no mandate has been issued requiring schools to remove students from rotations on either the AAMC or AACOM to the extent of my knowledge.
Oh I know I just meant timelines are the same. Most schools are getting to that point though

Our school has so far ignored the AAMC/LCME and AACOM/COCA req to pull students for at least the next two weeks. Some students can get out of the next two weeks if you have personal concerns. Then they told us we have April off, but will need to make that rotation up, so we either have to burn a vacation month or an audition month.

Overall I think it's been handled about as poorly as possible. Not really sure why that surprises me though, that kind of decision making should be expected from pretty much every medical school at this point.

Are ya'lls rotation different length too? How would that work? Some of us are in 4,6, or 8 week long rotations right now.

Are ya'lls rotation different length too? How would that work? Some of us are in 4,6, or 8 week long rotations right now.

All are 4 except for IM which is 8. The people who have IM starting in April are going to get completely hosed.

All are 4 except for IM which is 8. The people who have IM starting in April are going to get completely hosed.
Why are you on probationary status ?!

I always thought you were a very cordial and reliable SDNer.

Cancelled rotations for at least 3 weeks. Moving them online, case based courses via Acquifer. Pretty good actually. Need to complete the course for credit of the rotation. No idea about COMAT’s.

Feeling lucky to be a first year. How's this affecting second year's board prep? I would be worried things might extend into the summer a bit for labs, standardized encounters etc. TBH, I do not see why first years and second years cannot just go to school once for written exams and maintain "social distancing" then, and postpone practical things for later.

Why are you on probationary status ?!

I always thought you were a very cordial and reliable SDNer.

Seriously. I can't tell if it's that people on SDN like to complain or if they're just ban happy. But somehow people are restricted or simply "disappeared" like we're in the USSR.

Reactions: 4 users
Feeling lucky to be a first year. How's this affecting second year's board prep? I would be worried things might extend into the summer a bit for labs, standardized encounters etc. TBH, I do not see why first years and second years cannot just go to school once for written exams and maintain "social distancing" then, and postpone practical things for later.
This is all pretty ideal for 2nd years. They have a true dedicated period this year (as long as they're able to sit for boards later on)

This is all pretty ideal for 2nd years. They have a true dedicated period this year (as long as they're able to sit for boards later on)
Ahh i gotcha. But let's say they make it so you can take boards later on, you would have to do it during rotations...

Just got off a teleconferencing q/a session with our dean. Looks like COCA has to approve our online curriculum regarding cores. If they don't, it'll eat some of the elective time next year, which will be terrible unless I can schedule it all the way in the spring. Nothing is set in stone obviously, all depending on when this virus blows over.

Ahh i gotcha. But let's say they make it so you can take boards later on, you would have to do it during rotations...
Believe me, the more time the better when it came to studying for Step 1. They’ll have announcements when things start to return to normal. Until then, might as well grind while quarantined

Current second year, and I can assure you we are loving the extra board study time.

Cancelled rotations for at least 3 weeks. Moving them online, case based courses via Acquifer. Pretty good actually. Need to complete the course for credit of the rotation. No idea about COMAT’s.
Is there a certain percentage you have to get right on the cases/questions? I'm hoping completion is all that counts if our school does the same.

To offer an alternative thought, I'm not entirely happy about it. Like you said, it all depends on when we have to make up all the in-person stuff. If it doesn't cut into dedicated, then I don't care. If it does, it's a different story.

To offer an alternative thought, I'm not entirely happy about it. Like you said, it all depends on when we have to make up all the in-person stuff. If it doesn't cut into dedicated, then I don't care. If it does, it's a different story.
If you aren’t in classes now, you are (or should be) in dedicated

All classes moved to online and cancellation of all remaining labs (with no plan to make up as of now). Exams will be administered online with monitoring via live webcam from home. I have some shady classmates, so this will be very interesting....

Current second year, and I can assure you we are loving the extra board study time.

While accurate, I don’t love the risk of having to take STEP1 during rotations due to prometrics closing long term. I’m already stressed enough as is.

Yep. Definitely a major concern. I’d be OK with delaying rotations for a month and ending a month later, however.

4th yr rotations are done as of this week. Vacation has started lol

Thats what I thought too until my school started piling on busy work (OPP hw, ALA case studies, and EVEN DISCUSSION BOARDS). It literally might be worse than it was before

Reactions: 3 users
Thats what I thought too until my school started piling on busy work (OPP hw, ALA case studies, and EVEN DISCUSSION BOARDS). It literally might be worse than it was before

OPP homework!?!

*just threw up in my mouth a little bit...

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I feel for you... that sounds terrible

I've been hammering Zanki for the last 2 years and have already been working through questions....even though classes are online, it hasn't stopped my school from requiring BS so I can't really afford to do more right now. Case in point: we were supposed to have a suturing lab that got canceled, we now have to teach ourselves and upload a video of us doing 25 knots instead of sitting in a lab for 1 hour watching a professor teach us what to do and then just getting to leave...

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 8 users
I've been hammering Zanki for the last 2 years and have already been working through questions....even though classes are online, it hasn't stopped my school from requiring BS so I can't really afford to do more right now. Case in point: we were supposed to have a suturing lab that got canceled, we now have to teach ourselves and upload a video of us doing 25 knots instead of sitting in a lab for 1 hour watching a professor teach us what to do and then just getting to leave...
Your school is not the norm. Regardless of what school you go to- get the mandatory BS stuff done then get back to your real work. Still beats going to class for the majority of individuals

Finished out our suture lab last week. Thank you based god AT Still.....

• Haha
All classes moved to online and cancellation of all remaining labs (with no plan to make up as of now). Exams will be administered online with monitoring via live webcam from home. I have some shady classmates, so this will be very interesting....

While accurate, I don’t love the risk of having to take STEP1 during rotations due to prometrics closing long term. I’m already stressed enough as is.

Yep. Definitely a major concern. I’d be OK with delaying rotations for a month and ending a month later, however.
When did you sign up for exam?

Final 5 exams at home uproctored
Instead of SP encounter we are spending on hour via Zoom in small groups to talk about a patient case. Eassssyyy compared to doing SP.
I bet we'll have to make up OMM practical once schools opens back up... but maybe not.

Overall, muchhh more time to grind for boards so overall happy thus far.
Good point about boards being pushed back... but can't imagine this extends into mid/late June.

Honestly 3rd years are probably getting the worst of this entire situation.

3rd year here--rotations canceled until further notice. I will be missing out on IM and an elective in my specialty of interest. Pretty much worse case scenario. And the school is very confident our online modules "won't be busy work".