USMLE How late can I take STEP 2 CK without it affecting my residency application poorly (by not being in on time)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nebuchadnezzarII

CALI born and raised.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was going to take my STEP-2 CK in July. However, due to bad luck, I may have to take my sub internship during this time instead. This would mean I would then take my STEP 2 CK on August 31st. I am applying Internal Medicine.

I have two options:

1. Take Sub-I in July to get letter in time and take STEP 2 CK in August.
2. Take STEP 2 CK in July and take Sub-I in September, so my letter is late.

Members don't see this ad.

depends on how you did on step 1. if you did well, I have been told it doesn't matter. I am applying to a surgical subspeciality. might vary for IM.

Reactions: 1 user
depends on how you did on step 1. if you did well, I have been told it doesn't matter. I am applying to a surgical subspeciality. might vary for IM.
I got 23x on STEP I. Pretty average. I don't wanna go anywhere super competitive.

well the average for step 2 is in 240s so you will likely get higher on step 2 than step 1 provided you study for it, but I don't think not taking step 2 ck is going to play a big role if you end up doing on average on it
However, if you take it and can get in the 250s that will help

Reactions: 1 user