How late is this application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwaway1693

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far, I have submitted 3/25 secondaries, and I have one II. How late is this and how badly does this affect my chances of II's or acceptances?

Members don't see this ad.

It's not even october yet. Calm down.

I believe somewhat badly. Start churning out those secondaries ASAP. My understanding is that those with weaker stats are more likely to be shut out w/ late applications than those w/ exemplary stats, because those w/ amazing stats can hold their own in the larger pool of applicants. IMO if you've got very strong stats, then it's not such a huge deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on how great an applicant you are but let's put it this way. Many schools have already given out half their IIs according to some adcoms here. By the time your app gets reviewed in a month or so there will be even less

Not to hijack the thread but I've been going back and forth on this for a while. I submitted 37/44 of my secondaries mostly within 2 week window by end of August. But I have 3 md ones laying around that I did not do. I've had them for 6-8 weeks and at this point was thinking it's not worth finishing. LizzyM is around 68 and I current have 2 MD II. Thoughts?

So far, I have submitted 3/25 secondaries, and I have one II. How late is this and how badly does this affect my chances of II's or acceptances?
depends on your stats. my friend who is currently at hopkins med did his over the course of late august and into late september/early october. the guy had great stats though. if you're applying to enough schools where your stats are solid, you should be good. try to finish them in the next few weeks tho.

i'm sort of in the same boat, but further along. i've done 13/17 secondaries. i saved 2 of my biggest reaches for the end though, which i find both stupid and smart. stupid because i've diminshed my already diminished chances and smart because i at least gave the schools i have a shot at the best chance i could. so prioritize what secondaries you submit and be fast

Not to hijack the thread but I've been going back and forth on this for a while. I submitted 37/44 of my secondaries mostly within 2 week window by end of August. But I have 3 md ones laying around that I did not do. I've had them for 6-8 weeks and at this point was thinking it's not worth finishing. LizzyM is around 68 and I current have 2 MD II. Thoughts?
is it a money concern or are you just burnt out? if it's the former, then i understand not sending out anymore but if you're just burnt out, try to push through!

44 apps though? holy crap thats an insane amount of money

depends on your stats. my friend who is currently at hopkins med did his over the course of late august and into late september/early october. the guy had great stats though. if you're applying to enough schools where your stats are solid, you should be good. try to finish them in the next few weeks tho.

i'm sort of in the same boat, but further along. i've done 13/17 secondaries. i saved 2 of my bigger reaches for the end though, which i find both stupid and smart. stupid because i've diminshed my already diminished chances and smart because i at least gave the schools i have a shot at the best chance i could. so prioritize what secondaries you submit and be fast
To be general, I have >3.8 GPA and 100th percentile MCAT with extensive clinical experience.

2 of my LORs have yet to come in, as the professors were on vacation the whole summer.

Why did you decide to apply to 44 schools? How much did that cost? My account felt a dent just reading that.

Mostly I was just burnt out working full time and writing every day for 6 weeks straight.

But as time went on in the past weeks I've been rationalizing not finishing them by telling myself it is a waste of money and it's too late with my lower stats.

Haven't bit the bullet and just said I'm done and haven't pushed myself hard enough to finish the remaining few though. Need to decide if it's worth it to finish or if should I just move on and prep for interviews

Mostly I was just burnt out working full time and writing every day for 6 weeks straight.

But as time went on in the past weeks I've been rationalizing not finishing them by telling myself it is a waste of money and it's too late with my lower stats.

Haven't bit the bullet and just said I'm done and haven't pushed myself hard enough to finish the remaining few though. Need to decide if it's worth it to finish or if should I just move on and prep for interviews

Hah.

I'm in almost exactly the same boat. Three secondaries that I'm sitting on, and thinking it's probably not worth doing now since I've waited so long.

1/3 is pretty dang good

OMG - lol - this is like truly casting a wide spread... This is beyond broad spectrum Abx...

I got through 6 and I called it quits