How late is too late to add schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evansh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied early, so I'm verified with letters and scores, but I'm considering adding a few schools after perusing MSAR/because I'm neurotic about maximizing my chances. Is it too late to do now? How about for adding reach schools, probably should do this earlier if it's a reach correct?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it's too late. Being early helps out, but I don't think you're at the point that there won't be available seats by the time your app is reviewed.

Alright. Thank you both for the quick responses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to refresh on timeline reality:

AMCAS doesnt start transmitting until July 1st (though some schools have secondaries sent to contact info upon submission to AMCAS)
Most Primary Apps are verified and transmitted mid July thru late August
Most adcoms dont start meeting for review until at least mid-August, more likely September (though adcom staff may be doing early reviews).
Submitting Primary Application June is Early, July Medium, August Late
Having Primary verified and transmitted to school by end of August is normal speed
Having Secondary and all LORs complete to school by end of September is normal speed, by end of October is about late.

Getting primary in early does matter because of all the other items that follow it. But applicants often see the beginning and not understanding how it flows from there.

Quoting this post here for relevant info from a sage of SDN.

Reactions: 1 users
Totally fine! For reference, I've gotten into schools that I added in September, well after submitting the primary in June.