How late is too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hellsbelle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone, I'm an MS3 who just decided that i want to give neuro more consideration as a possible career choice. I realize that this might be a little on the late side, though, and I'm wondering how best to explore this option and still allow myself time for applying etc. Here's the rub: my school doesn't offer neuro in the 3rd year--we do it as a required month as MS4s. i'm currently changing things around to do my neuro month in July or August (right now, it is looking like august is all i can work out) and I am worried this is just too late to get everything cooking. Based on everything I've seen here, it seems like I should be done with several neuro electives by then.

Can anyone offer some perspective on this? :confused:

Also, if anyone just has some thoughts on what attracted them to Neuro in the first place? I'm trying to figure out if this is some crazy pipe dream...

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

hellsbelle said:
hi everyone, I'm an MS3 who just decided that i want to give neuro more consideration as a possible career choice. I realize that this might be a little on the late side, though, and I'm wondering how best to explore this option and still allow myself time for applying etc. Here's the rub: my school doesn't offer neuro in the 3rd year--we do it as a required month as MS4s. i'm currently changing things around to do my neuro month in July or August (right now, it is looking like august is all i can work out) and I am worried this is just too late to get everything cooking. Based on everything I've seen here, it seems like I should be done with several neuro electives by then.

Can anyone offer some perspective on this? :confused:

Also, if anyone just has some thoughts on what attracted them to Neuro in the first place? I'm trying to figure out if this is some crazy pipe dream...

Thanks in advance!

Definitely not a crazy pipe dream. I was dragging my feet and did not decide on neuro until early August. Your biggest obstacle will be getting your three letters of recommendation. I had one from a research mentor, one from an internal medicine doc and one from a neurologist. I would suggest getting a few letters lined up early summer, then do well on your neuro clerkship and get a good letter then. Also, try to have some neuro electives early fall if not sooner. This will at least show that your are serious about a career in neuro, and it will give you things to talk about at interviews.

Neuro is in the SFmatch, and the "recommended" deadline for your application will be sometime early September. Don't let this scare you. I got my application all complete mid-September, applied to 20 programs, and was still offered 20 interviews. A few programs have very early application deadline dates, so if you already know where you will be looking for residency, do your research and figure out when you need to get all your stuff in.

I am very happy with my career decision. The nervous system is just plain fascinating, and there is so much that we still need to figure out. The future of neurology is very exciting, whether you want to be a clinician, researcher, academician, or all three. I love the diagnostic thinking that neuro requires. I like chin-scratching problems that are hard to figure out-- neuro is full of these.

Some might tell you that neuro is depressing and that there is very little you can do for your patients. Like all the other stereotypes of medical specialties, this is an oversimplification of a complex area that is simply not true. The management of many neurological diseases has really changed and will continue to change. Also, neuro patients often have serious, life-changing disease, and they need a good doctor that is able to make a correct diagnosis and help them understand and manage their disease. Keep in mind, not every neuro patient you see will have a progressive dementing illness or a severe paralyzing stroke. For example, you can often help young, otherwise healthy patients with epilepsy, migraines, etc. lead fairly normal lives. If you like thinking and diagnosing, you may like neuro. I have met many neurologists that still love neuro after 30 years in the field . . . think about it, how could you ever become bored with the brain? Good luck and I hope this helps some.

Matt481

I'm new to this whole process. I've heard that some programs like you to apply as early as possible. It probably shouldn't matter if you have great grades though. It seems like neurology is getting more competitive these last few years, so I'm not sure I would feel comfortable waiting no matter how good my grades are..

Members don't see this ad :)
I was almost sold on internal medicine, in fact in Aug of '04 I was doing a rotation in internal medicine at a hospital I was interested in applying too. By the end of that rotation, I started to give neuro a second thought as well. I am also in the military so I had to have my match list submitted by Oct ,04 so I had two months to really consider changing my mind. To make a long story short, its not too late for you, it was very late for me and I did manage to match into a neuro program.

And I am a dumba$$ too, so if a dumba$$ can match into neuro at the last minute, then its not too late for you!!