how long after AMCAS do secondaries come?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hobbes007

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering once you submit amcas, how long its taken for secondaries to come...does anyone know?
thanks!
hobbes

Members don't see this ad.

Someone who applied in 2000 told me that he got his first secondary two weeks after he submitted the AMCAS. I don't know what it's going ot be like this year.

Mine started to arrive 3 weeks after AMCAS submission. Sometimes, I'd get 3 in one day, and sometimes I'd have a dry spell for days.

Members don't see this ad :)
last year I submitted 6/26 and got my first secondary on 7/13. Hope it helps...

Depends on when you apply and where you apply to. If you apply really early, some schools might not be ready to send out secondaries yet. Also, it really varies from school to school. Some schools got back to me very soon after and others took almost a month or more.

I know it sucks, but there is nothing in this process that doesnt involve serious amounts of waiting.

If you're applying to a state school, give them a call and ask for a secondary. Some will send them to in-state applicants even before the school has received the primary app.

It looks like if you have already submitted your application and it has been verified already, schools should start receiving the verified apps from AMCAS starting on about July 8. Depending on the schools, you could start getting secondaries immediately after that, up to a month or more after that.

In general, you can start receiving secondaries as soon as a week or two after submitting your app, depending on how efficient AMCAS is at verifying your app and transmitting it to the schools, and then how efficient the schools are at getting stuff out to you.

For me, I got my first secondaries within about two weeks of submitting the app, and my last secondary came at the beginning of January, which was more than 2 months after I submitted. Yes, I admit it, I applied REALLY late last year (end of October).

Basically, you never know. Just be prepared.

Good luck! :D