How long after taking Step 1 before you couldn't pass Step 1 again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

malin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Say for students who took Step 1 and scored anywhere from a 230-250, how many months/years would it take before they couldn't pass Step 1 if they took it again (without explicitly studying for it)?

I feel that a student at the end of their 3rd year of med school could still pass it if they studied hard for their shelf exams, but it wouldn't be above 230. A student at the end of their 4th year maybe wouldn't. And I don't think a resident or attending physician could pass Step 1 if they took it today.

But I do feel that an internal medicine attending physician could pass Step 2 since much of it is more clinical and internal medicine related.

When do you all think someone wouldn't be able to pass Step 1 after they take it for the first time?

Members don't see this ad.

I know a friend who took it and 4 years later - I'm still pretty damn sure he would pass. lol.

Eh, this was probably a super weird question to ask haha. A really good internist could probably pass Step 2. Step 1 would be a lot harder though, but could probably be done. It is fascinating though that to become a doctor, one of the single most important tests you take is one that might not be able to pass even after 10 years of experience on the job.

It always happens with standardized exams. Like if I took the ACT/SAT which I got in the 99th percentile in back high school today, almost 11 yrs after high school, there is NO WAY I would do as well. IMO your brain just doesn't like to keep random and useless knowledge around. Step I is important but after being an attending for 10 yrs, one may still be able to get a passing score (though with score creep that's a whole other can of beans) but they won't be as tuned in as when their medical career was on the line. I'm sure attendings or residents will correct me if I'm wrong but that's my opinion at this point in the journey.