How long are positions available after SOAP?

Started by CajunMedic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CajunMedic

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So here's my situation:

DO EM reapplicant from a TY. 1 AOA program and 3 ACGME ones ranked.

Here's my question. There are at least 2, possibly 3 new EM programs coming online the first week of April. One of them I have several connections to. God forbid I don't match again, SOAP to an EM program, or grab a spot at the new programs. Will there still be FM or IM spots available 3 weeks post-match? I'd consider SOAPing to one, but that takes me out of the running since you apparently have to have a waiver to be released from an ACGME contract and it's a match violation to even interview without one.
 
Very few, if any, programs are going to sit around empty for that long. There's always the chance that a new program will be approved, or someone else will fail the onboarding process, etc. But I doubt there will be many programs waiting around to fill 2-3 weeks later, let alone 2-3 days later.