1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

How long are the LOR?????

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by john9192, Mar 27, 2007.

1. john9192

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Okay,

All of my letter writers are male.

First, dental clinic manager (that I work in) said that he would write me a reference letter, and after he wrote it, he gave it to me to read it. The letter was great, but the length was like 2 paragraphs total of like 12 lines. That looked sort of short!.

Second, my chem professor totally agreed to write me a letter but he is telling me that we would meet one afternoon and talk about my plans, goals, previous experiences etc and then write the letter right away and send it off the same day to our LOR file services. Is that possible!!!

My stats are not too great, and I'm worried that the length of these letter would not get me into a dental school.
    In general, how long are the letters?
    My high school english teacher wrote me a full two page recommendation for my high school scholarship, and compared to that, my dental school letter is way too short. What should I do!?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pre-dentalguy

pre-dentalguy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Understand that the LOR should be no more than two pages/700 words. Take into consideration the board members read thousands of those a year. It must be brief, concise, and straight to the point! Nothing more!

What are your stats anyway? If you tell me, then I probably could tell you what should be in your LOR.

Marion

4. thegame2388

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I have the same question. How long are LORs supposed to be?!

5. thegame2388

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
  6. Svart Aske

Svart Aske is stabbing his eyes out
    10+ Year Member

Does it really matter? The length of the letter is not something you can change.

7. Albuterol

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Its all about the content, I don't think length matters too much.

8. hellonurse

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I am not concerned about length. That have to understand that we cannot control how much someone else writes. If I were you, I would move on..I think one paragraph is too short, two is fine. It cannot keep you out of dental school.

9. thegame2388

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    whats the avg length