How long are you planning to study for STEP 2 dedicated?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skarl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
STEP 1 is P/F, so STEP 2 is even more important now. How long are people planning to study for STEP 2, and provide some context about your background (e.g. STEP 1 performance, clinical year) if you're comfortable sharing.

My background: finished 1st pass of STEP 2CK UWorld (63%) through clinicals, performed average to above average on shelf exams. Taking STEP 1 next week (our school has it after clinicals) and have scored ~230-40 on practice tests, finished STEP 1 UWorld (70%), and watched Pathoma Ch1-4 + Sketchy Micro. Applying into a competitive specialty. Plan to take 6 weeks of dedicated for STEP 2, redo UWorld incorrects, finish Amboss, and complete all NBME practice tests + other resources as needed (e.g. Divine Intervention).

Members don't see this ad.

Step 1 pass, only practice exam score I remember was a 245 on UWSA2 1 week before the exam.
On balance, shelf exams have been around in the mid-80s (low 83, high 93), though I have a few more shelf exams to go.

I've been keeping up with uw and amboss questions for each rotation so far, plan on doing a restart and 2nd pass of uworld starting during my last rotation and hopefully finishing during dedicated. Plan on taking 4 weeks to study, with the option to add another week if I feel the need.

Reactions: 1 user
Never took a pre-test with a score for Step 1, but felt confident going in with my practice exams and passed. Have 2 rotations left in 3rd year and have scored around 84 on my shelves so far. Have done Anking and kept up with reviews over the course of the year which I feel has helped more than anything. Finish last clerkship end of May and scheduled Step 2 for June 23rd so right at 4 weeks of dedicated. Going to reset UWORLD and take whatever practice tests are recommended. From talking to a few 4th years 4 weeks seems to be about the sweet spot for dedicated before diminishing returns. Biggest thing for me right now is my exam site is 175 miles away so will be checking daily for slots to open up closer to home lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Step 1: UWORLD 68% first attempt. Took 6 weeks dedicated. I only took two NBMEs don’t remember which they were but I got 70% early in my studies and 80% 1 week before test.

For step 2 our school gives us 2 weeks dedicated time, but we also have 8 weeks of free time that were initially intended to be used for interviews and such. I was going to use 4 weeks of that free time in addition to my 2 week dedicated to have a total of 6 weeks although I don’t imagine I will utilize all of this. In all honesty I think I will spend 4 weeks on dedicated just going through all my UWORLD wrongs, doing some NBME practice tests, and doing some content review.

Step 1:265+ 3.5 weeks dedicated

Step 2: 275+ 2.5 weeks dedicated taken mid 3rd year. UWorld 87%. Completed half of UWorld prior to dedicated during shelf study for clerkships. Kept up with Step 2 Anki. Shelf scores 95-99th percentile.

Finished other half of UWorld during dedicated. Listened to high yield Divine podcasts during errands. Did NBME 9,10, 11, UWSA1/2, and Free 120. Honestly, was burnt out and ready to take Step 2 one week into dedicated.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Step 1:265+ 3.5 weeks dedicated

Step 2: 275+ 2.5 weeks dedicated taken mid 3rd year. UWorld 87%. Completed half of UWorld prior to dedicated during shelf study for clerkships. Kept up with Step 2 Anki. Shelf scores 95-99th percentile.

Finished other half of UWorld during dedicated. Listened to high yield Divine podcasts during errands. Did NBME 9,10, 11, UWSA1/2, and Free 120. Honestly, was burnt out and ready to take Step 2 one week into dedicated.
I mean you were scoring 95-99th percentiles on shelfs and got 87% on uworld lol. I never doubted that your score would've been <260 even if you didn't study at all for dedicated. Congrats on the superb scores.

Sure.

NBME 9: 267 (baseline)
NBME 10: 270 (14 days out)
UWSA1: 270 (9 days out)
NBME11: 273 (4 days out)
UWSA2: 266 (4 days out)

You were in beast mode. LOL.
I pray for similar result as you on the real thing.
Mine are:
NBME 9: 265 (baseline)
NBME 10: 266
UWSA1: 266
UWSA2: 270
Shelf score percentiles were (90-95)
Actual: 270

Thank you Lord!

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users

Thank you Lord!

This is encouraging to hear. I've been scoring around 90-92nd percentile on Shelf exams, but all my study has consisted of cramming all the UWorld questions in the week leading up to the exam so I'm just hoping I'm actually retaining stuff lmao. Shooting for a 260+ Step 2. Hope my baseline NBME is around yours haha

How long was your dedicated period? 2 weeks?

Thank you Lord!
Congrats! Curious, did you use any resources besides UW/Amboss? I'm planning to do a second pass of all my UW incorrects (finished first pass during third year) and complete all hammer 3/4 Amboss questions. Anking for incorrect questions.

How in the....how? HOW!?!? WHAT ARE YOUR SECRETS? HOW WERE YOU STUDYING?

Also congrats, I'm glad we're not applying in the same cycle lmao
No secrets really. 6 weeks dedication and UW/Amboss. Do the NBME 9, 10, 11, UWSA1 and 2, and free 120. I think most will score between UWSA1/2. GL.

Reactions: 1 users
This is encouraging to hear. I've been scoring around 90-92nd percentile on Shelf exams, but all my study has consisted of cramming all the UWorld questions in the week leading up to the exam so I'm just hoping I'm actually retaining stuff lmao. Shooting for a 260+ Step 2. Hope my baseline NBME is around yours haha

How long was your dedicated period? 2 weeks?
I took 6 weeks, but could have shorten it to 4 weeks.