Other OT-Related Information How long are you willing to commute?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jennnn1212

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering because I am not willing to move out and am applying to three schools which are about 1 hr 15 minutes away- could be anywhere from 60-90 mins. Does anyone else have a similar commute?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I commute 50 miles one way to a public OT school. There is always traffic in the Bay Area so I leave my house 2 hours before my class starts and usually takes me 1.5 hours to get there. I only go 3 days a week so that is also one reason why I can handle the commuting. It really depends on you and your situation though, will the commuting stress you out or will that just be another part of the graduate experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
That is
I commute 60 min to school 3-6 days a week. It saves me the rent I'd have to pay otherwise. I also have a family and am still paying mortgage (hence why). But I would not recommend it. My particular stretch of road has lots of semi-trucks and is dangerous in winter, especially when we had the "polar vortex." :D I've had an intensive first semester and felt losing time for study, compared to my peers. I tried listening to lectures while driving etc but still feel it's a big waste of time. My program has quite a few practicum and field trips, and of course fieldwork. I also have research that involves booking participants at a time convenient for them. I often end up having to be there at 8 a.m. for all those reasons. I leave the house when it's still dark, which is manageable but I would immediately become very anxious when there is even a slight sign of traffic jam on one of the 2 highways I travel. The question is almost like: are you willing to deal with the extra stress on top of your schoolwork.
that is true. Honestly it's mainly because of two reasons..I don't feel comfortable moving out by myself or away from the area I'm in plus the extra thousands of dollars a year of the debt I'll already be in. I just wanted to know if people do it, right now id do anything to be accepted into an OT program

I commute 50 miles one way to a public OT school. There is always traffic in the Bay Area so I leave my house 2 hours before my class starts and usually takes me 1.5 hours to get there. I only go 3 days a week so that is also one reason why I can handle the commuting. It really depends on you and your situation though, will the commuting stress you out or will that just be another part of the graduate experience?
Yeah like right now for my undergrad my last year I commute 45 minutes 4 times a week and I have no problems. Willing to sacrifice time I just want to know other peoples experiences