How long before getting an interview invite?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi everyone, I submitted my ERAS application last week, and I've received 8 offers from Neurology programs, but am still waiting to hear from my top choices (mainly schools in SoCal, TX, and FL). How long should I wait before I contact these schools to see if I'm going to get an interview? I'd like to start setting up my interview schedule ASAP, but need to know where I actually can interview first. Also, is there a deadline that most schools have for when they'll let you know if you receive an interview? Thank you for your input as always!!
~bblue

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, I submitted my ERAS application last week, and I've received 8 offers from Neurology programs, but am still waiting to hear from my top choices (mainly schools in SoCal, TX, and FL). How long should I wait before I contact these schools to see if I'm going to get an interview? I'd like to start setting up my interview schedule ASAP, but need to know where I actually can interview first. Also, is there a deadline that most schools have for when they'll let you know if you receive an interview? Thank you for your input as always!!
~bblue
The recommendation seems to be waiting at least until after the MSPE is released before contacting programs.

The recommendation seems to be waiting at least until after the MSPE is released before contacting programs.

Ok.....I'm just going to come out with it. What is the MSPE? (please don't hit me...)

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok.....I'm just going to come out with it. What is the MSPE? (please don't hit me...)

fancy way of saying Dean's letter.

~bblue

For some reason, last year the west coast programs got back to applicants later than east coast or mid-west programs. CA programs get a very high volume of applicants, so this may play into things.

You will keep hearing back from various places until the early part of November. After that it's possible that you will still hear from programs as some of their earlier applicants cancel or decline interviews.

I heard back from UF-jacksonville, but not cleveland clinic or UF gainsville or Miami. I know theres a few invites to Miami and SF already, but I'm an IMG so I'm sure those are for AMGS

For some reason, last year the west coast programs got back to applicants later than east coast or mid-west programs.

Great...way to keep us waiting! :laugh:

Great...way to keep us waiting! :laugh:

Yeah right? I did hear from UCSF-Fresno about a prelim year opening, but that's it on the cali front...still haven't heard from the Cali or Florida schools regarding Neuro. :xf:
Has anyone out there gotten an interview from a California school yet? For anything? I have a friend who's got the most ridiculously amazing application and she hasn't even heard from a cali school yet..

Yeah right? I did hear from UCSF-Fresno about a prelim year opening, but that's it on the cali front...still haven't heard from the Cali or Florida schools regarding Neuro. :xf:
Has anyone out there gotten an interview from a California school yet? For anything? I have a friend who's got the most ridiculously amazing application and she hasn't even heard from a cali school yet..

Just UC Irvine for Neuro. I haven't heard from any of the other UC schools though. My impression is also that they wait a little longer to start sending out the interview invites. I am also waiting anxiously to hear from them :love:

Just UC Irvine for Neuro. I haven't heard from any of the other UC schools though. My impression is also that they wait a little longer to start sending out the interview invites. I am also waiting anxiously to hear from them :love:

I heard UC Irvine is stupid (because they didn't send me an interview yet lol)...no, that's awesome. Congratulations!!
Is there any correlation between how long a school waits to send you an interview and how they rank you? (i.e. I heard from Temple right away, does that mean they really want me to go there or it was just coincidence that they checked the apps and mine was there?)

be patient. during my time, interviews didn't come in until mid october. good luck applicants:xf: (this is new!)

be patient. during my time, interviews didn't come in until mid october. good luck applicants:xf: (this is new!)

Does it look bad to contact a school to ask if they've received your application, and what the general timeline is for their interview schedule?

I dont think it's bad. But you also don't want to be too much of a bother to the program coordinators. You can actually see in ERAS if a program has downloaded your application already. Some of the programs I applied to didn't download til November.

I dont think it's bad. But you also don't want to be too much of a bother to the program coordinators. You can actually see in ERAS if a program has downloaded your application already. Some of the programs I applied to didn't download til November.

Thanks for the info. Buckley :)

I really wish the West Coast would get their ass in to gear!! :rolleyes:

I really wish the West Coast would get their ass in to gear!! :rolleyes:

Saaaaame here. I've only heard from one program in Cali so far. Although I did receive an email from UCLA stating they don't start asking for interviews until October 1st.