How long can HCV, HBV, and HIV live in decal solution?

Started by TJMAXX
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

i cut my self after the tissue has been in decal solution for 3 days.

I did the same thing after a lung had been in formalin for 1 day. Never contracted the diseases. I'm sure you're fine.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Decal is generally formalin + decal solution. If it was pure decal without formalin then the specimen would probably be ruined after 3 days. IF you're worried call employee health. I'm sure they've encountered it before.
 
They probably wouldn't survive very long.

From what I've seen on the containers at work, our decal doesn't contain any fixative. It's just a mixture of acids. Generally, if you want to leave something in decal for an extended period, make sure it's well fixed 1st or use a 50/50 solution of decal & formalin.


----- Antony

PS: Were your slides really pink when you looked at them?