How long could it take to hear from schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greenri

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied last week, on November 6th. I was not too worried about hearing back for a while because I was expecting it to take a considerable amount of time. I already heard back from three schools inviting me for interviews on the 7th and 8th. I set up interviews and am excited that schools are interested in me but, what is the normal amount of time that I should give before I expect to not hear anything from any other schools? Meaning... I really want to hear from DMU, but haven't yet and am hesitant about when to go on these other interviews and such.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied last week, on November 6th. I was not too worried about hearing back for a while because I was expecting it to take a considerable amount of time. I already heard back from three schools inviting me for interviews on the 7th and 8th. I set up interviews and am excited that schools are interested in me but, what is the normal amount of time that I should give before I expect to not hear anything from any other schools? Meaning... I really want to hear from DMU, but haven't yet and am hesitant about when to go on these other interviews and such.

Looking back through gmail - 16 days is what it took for me. I received the initial next day surge, but OCPM and DMU took an extra 2 weeks. I usually suggest people wait until they've heard from everyone they want to interview at to buy plane-tickets. I'd have saved myself a trip to Philly and Ohio had I done so.

Okay, that makes me feel a lot better! I still have a trip out to Philly as well. They asked for an interview a week away. So, I bought those tickets. I will definitely wait on buying the other ones though! Thanks for the reassurance! haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely. Let's keep a couple of things in mind. Whenever you interview you can reasonably expect to hear from the school within a week (this changes as you get deeper into the cycle) on whether you are going to be admitted. Once you are admitted the schools will try and rustle a deposit out of you within a month. I don't know how hard and fast this month is, but if you intend to spread your interviews over a long period of time you may need to consider asking the schools for more time to commit as you complete your interviews.

Last of all - Philly and Des Moines have very little in common. I'm sure you are aware of that, but really giving some thought to urban/suburban can help you save money by cutting down on unnecessary trips. People spend a lot of time trying to come up with things that are different/special about each school, but I think the first question should be - where is the school located. You'll be a school a lot, but there's just as much time spent living and buying groceries and doing whatever it is you do in your between time. Same thoughts for weather. It snowed here (lightly) yesterday and it won't be the last time.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, that makes me feel a lot better! I still have a trip out to Philly as well. They asked for an interview a week away. So, I bought those tickets. I will definitely wait on buying the other ones though! Thanks for the reassurance! haha

When I was applying you could still get an interview in January at Scholl and the former OCPM after submitting the app the week of Thanksgiving so don't hesitate to give it a couple of weeks. If you got an interview at Temple I would find it hard to believe that DMU wouldn't interview you as well. Some schools automatically send you an interview request if you meet certain cutoffs for GPM, MCAT, etc so that's why there's a difference.

was your application completed with or without transcripts? I am still waiting for my transcripts to be verified by aacpms

I think but I don't remember honestly since I applied back in fall of 2010. If your transcripts aren't verified yet that could explain why no answer from some schools. I know there's at least one (either Scholl or DMU or maybe both) that will absolutely not even open your file to make a decision to interview or not until it's complete will all Is dotted and Ts crossed.

I definitely understand that these schools
Definitely. Let's keep a couple of things in mind. Whenever you interview you can reasonably expect to hear from the school within a week (this changes as you get deeper into the cycle) on whether you are going to be admitted. Once you are admitted the schools will try and rustle a deposit out of you within a month. I don't know how hard and fast this month is, but if you intend to spread your interviews over a long period of time you may need to consider asking the schools for more time to commit as you complete your interviews.

Last of all - Philly and Des Moines have very little in common. I'm sure you are aware of that, but really giving some thought to urban/suburban can help you save money by cutting down on unnecessary trips. People spend a lot of time trying to come up with things that are different/special about each school, but I think the first question should be - where is the school located. You'll be a school a lot, but there's just as much time spent living and buying groceries and doing whatever it is you do in your between time. Same thoughts for weather. It snowed here (lightly) yesterday and it won't be the last time.

I definitely understand that these schools are very different. I have very different reasons for considering the two. For instance, I feel like I would feel more at home at DMU, I really like the program, and I really think I would love to live in Des Moines. On the other hand, I have more family near Temple and my girlfriend would have more job opportunities in Philadelphia. Most of all though, I just want to attend a podiatry school, obviously I have preferences, but I am a very flexible person and could see myself enjoying either of the places.

I have my transcripts verified and everything is submitted except for my letters of rec. I am still waiting on a professor to finish them. Could that be what is holding up hearing back about my application?

I have my transcripts verified and everything is submitted except for my letters of rec. I am still waiting on a professor to finish them. Could that be what is holding up hearing back about my application?
Yes, absolutely. Like I said, there is at least one school that will not even open your file for consideration at all until it is complete.

i sent my transcripts from interfolio... and it takes a while for them to receive it :S

too those who apply, aacpm does not accept official transcripts from interfolio. :(