How long did it take for you to prepare for your first interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtuoso735

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my first med school interview in one week at DMU, and I still haven't really started to prepare for my interview yet! I tried articulating a few answers out loud yesterday to a few questions, but I wasn't really happy with how I did. I tend to speak fast and stumble over my words because I try to fit too much into each answer. :(

Is a week enough time to prepare for an interview? How long did you take? And any tips or pointers for people like me preparing for interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

I have mine in October! I haven't done one before, but I am gonna start preparing soon! I'll be interested to hear the replies :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have my first med school interview in one week at DMU, and I still haven't really started to prepare for my interview yet! I tried articulating a few answers out loud yesterday to a few questions, but I wasn't really happy with how I did. I tend to speak fast and stumble over my words because I try to fit too much into each answer. :(

Is a week enough time to prepare for an interview? How long did you take? And any tips or pointers for people like me preparing for interviews?

Best bet is to get answers to the usual why medicine, why do, why this school questions. Then mock interviews. As many as you can get in with good feedback. Be comfortable with talking about your application and also, be firm but polite.

Good luck on your DMU interview! Amazing school.

It's definitely not ideal to cram all of your interview prep into a week, but I think you will be okay. Just make sure you use any free time you have to do practice questions, research health care, etc. Prior to my interview, I would answer questions out loud while I was driving the in the car on the way to class/work/etc.

I also had a mock interview set up through my school, and my best friend and father also did a mini practice interview with me. That helped A LOT. Make sure your answers aren't too rehearsed, though. Good luck!

Any idea of about how long it will last (i.e. how many of these questions are likely to be asked)? I'm interviewing at AZCOM and KCOM.

Thanks

Any idea of about how long it will last (i.e. how many of these questions are likely to be asked)? I'm interviewing at AZCOM and KCOM.

Thanks

It varies from school to school. I would research the school specific threads or interview feedback.

Thanks

20 min for AZCOM. I think we got through about 10 questions not including mini follow up questions

I just made a mental outline of the things I wanted to cover and answers I had to the various common questions.

Thanks

You have 3, yes three, interviews at KCOM that last about 30 mins. a piece. They are very conversational though, so if you can hold a conversation with another human being you'll be fine.

You have 3, yes three, interviews at KCOM that last about 30 mins. a piece. They are very conversational though, so if you can hold a conversation with another human being you'll be fine.

:thumbup:

I did a mock interview and just thought about my personal interests/reasons for medicine and what things I want to talk about.

Probably less than a week. I had a med student who did two days of mock interview with me and gave me some guidance. Thats about it.

Best bet is to get answers to the usual why medicine, why do, why this school questions. Then mock interviews. As many as you can get in with good feedback. Be comfortable with talking about your application and also, be firm but polite.

Good luck on your DMU interview! Amazing school.

+1.

Those generic questions are pretty much gimmes because one can prepare an intelligent response ahead of time. Know the school and be able to articulate why the school is a good fit for you. Go on the school's website and explore. As for your application, that's why people say "know your application in and out." It's true- if there's something that warrants further explanation, be prepared to answer to it, especially if it is something that they may find questionable (i.e., grades).

It varies from school to school. I would research the school specific threads or interview feedback.

+1. I definitely spent a LOT of time going through the feedback students provided for their interview experiences. They helped me out incredibly.

EDIT: Almost forgot: It took me about a week to feel prepared for my first interview. Most of that time was spent catching up on current events- health care reform.

+1.

Those generic questions are pretty much gimmes because one can prepare an intelligent response ahead of time. Know the school and be able to articulate why the school is a good fit for you. Go on the school's website and explore. As for your application, that's why people say "know your application in and out." It's true- if there's something that warrants further explanation, be prepared to answer to it, especially if it is something that they may find questionable (i.e., grades).

+1. I definitely spent a LOT of time going through the feedback students provided for their interview experiences. They helped me out incredibly.

EDIT: Almost forgot: It took me about a week to feel prepared for my first interview. Most of that time was spent catching up on current events- health care reform.

+1. The NSU feedback is very very accurate.

I went through every question in the "Articles and Interviews" section on SDN. A lot of great questions there and I am in the process of bullet pointing my answers. I have a mock interview set up with my graduate school (also a med school) and I finally got my suit.

My interview is on Oct 5th.

I went through every question in the "Articles and Interviews" section on SDN. A lot of great questions there and I am in the process of bullet pointing my answers. I have a mock interview set up with my graduate school (also a med school) and I finally got my suit.

My interview is on Oct 5th.

every question! you mean, those that even go all the way back to 2007? I am going about 2 years back at most.

every question! you mean, those that even go all the way back to 2007? I am going about 2 years back at most.

Haha, yea pretty much everything until the page stopped scrolling down. I am an UD interviewing at a great school so I didn't want to screw up. I would rather be over-prepared than have that "deer in headlights" look. I have been waiting for this interview all my life.

Haha, yea pretty much everything until the page stopped scrolling down. I am an UD interviewing at a great school so I didn't want to screw up. I would rather be over-prepared than have that "deer in headlights" look. I have been waiting for this interview all my life.

which school is this?

which school is this?

Im pretty sure he's got one for UMDNJ...I remember being very jealous of it ;)

Good luck on it, Gsun88. Im sure youll nail it

(and tell them about me while youre there :D )

Im pretty sure he's got one for UMDNJ...I remember being very jealous of it ;)

Good luck on it, Gsun88. Im sure youll nail it

(and tell them about me while youre there :D )

Haha yea, you got it HalfListic!! Hey don't give up hope. Maybe we will get to interview on the same day!

i took a few days

practiced with friends and other med students

saw the prof of my lab (MD/PHD and he's done adcom work)

and the obvious mental mapping

i prepared more than others because i'm more on the quiet and shy side. i had to compensate