• It's our birthday!

    Thank you to all our members and donors for supporting us for since 1999.

How long did it take you to improve in verbal

Nyphool

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2004
57
0
de02.net
    I am currently doing the kaplan verbal material. People are saying the real mcats makes the kaplan material look like a joke. That is pretty intimidating considering i am not stellar at the kaplan stuff. What is it like 90% to get a 10? Thats crazy.

    I was just wondering a few things. How long did it take you to improve in verbal? How many points did you improve in that time span. How many hours per day or hours per week did you dedicate. Before you first looked at an mcat exam, did you consider yourself strong in verbal? How often did you become frustrated with this section. What did you do to overcome that frustration? thanks
     

    ser1218

    Junior Member
    10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Oct 14, 2004
    17
    0
      I would have to say verbal was also my weakest section. I took the Kaplan online course and got an 8 on the initial diagnostic test. On this past August test, I wound up getting a 10 on verbal. I took all the practice verbal reasoning tests Kaplan offerred and did about 7 of the full length tests. I never managed to get above an 11 on verbal when practicing, so I was pretty happy with a 10 on test day. So I essentially improved 2 points in the span of about a month and a half. I personally didn't think the kaplan review materials for verbal were that bad, but examkrackers is good for verbal too.

      It is almost impossible to know what your scaled score (1-15) will be based upon your raw score. It is different for every test and depends on how everyone else does. But generally, you don't need a 90% to get a 10. A 90% usually will be a 12 or 13 in my opinion. The key is just take as many practice verbal tests as you can, get used to how fast you have to read, and so forth. I hope this helps.
       

      Avenue Q

      Senior Member
      10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Nov 15, 2004
      266
      0
        The first time i took a diag (princeton review) i got a 6, although i REALLY had to go to the bathroom during that section, so it probably would have been a bit higher.

        on my last 2 diags (which are aamc ones) i got a 13 and 14, and on the real test i got a 12.

        i only really worked on the section we did in class, and i focused my studing on the sciences. i just needed to get used to the passages. occasionally i would practice, but it wasn't my priority at all. the improvement was over a summer course. i found that looking at the question types i was getting wrong really helped. i would always get one type wrong, and being able to pick them out while doing the test was helpful because i knew not to go with my first responce.

        But like the other poster, i'm pretty good at the verbal thing (SATs i got a 780, although im not sure if that applies).

        hope that helps. ;)
         
        About the Ads

        fpr85

        "newbie"
        10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Sep 1, 2004
        576
        0
        36
        USA
          Nyphool said:
          I am currently doing the kaplan verbal material. People are saying the real mcats makes the kaplan material look like a joke. That is pretty intimidating considering i am not stellar at the kaplan stuff. What is it like 90% to get a 10? Thats crazy.

          I actually read on these forums that the KAPLAN tests are supposed to be harder than the actually test, that way you can't get your money back since you're almost certain to do better on the actual thing than the diagnostic tests..
           

          LiNk

          Senior Member
          10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          Jun 16, 2004
          131
          0
          Florida
          1. Pre-Medical
            Nyphool said:
            I was just wondering a few things. How long did it take you to improve in verbal? How many points did you improve in that time span. How many hours per day or hours per week did you dedicate. Before you first looked at an mcat exam, did you consider yourself strong in verbal? How often did you become frustrated with this section. What did you do to overcome that frustration? thanks

            April MCAT 6V; August MCAT 9V
            I got a 6 on the April MCAT OUCH!! That was embarrassing. Verbal is my weakness obviously. I took Kaplan last spring and scored 8-11 on Kaplan practice tests 1-8. Over the summer I used EK Verbal 101 (11 verbal tests) and did 9 of the kaplan verbal tests- those extra ones from the internet. Did you get a free subscription to the Wall Street Journal when you signed up for Kaplan? Read that. Over the summer I read a newspaper/New Yorker/Scientific American once every couple days. That was key... definitely read news articles. I read books as well (Stephen King's Gunslinger series) but that was for fun.
            I was always frustrated with verbal and I never really felt confident. I even feel awkward here b/c a 9 is nothing to brag about but a 3 point improvement is huge and I'll take it. I overcame my frustration by practicing like hell. Over the summer I would take a practice test about every other day. By July I was consistently scoring 9s and 10s.
             

            MrTee

            Senior Member
            15+ Year Member
            Oct 14, 2003
            337
            2
              Verbal is easily the most difficult section to raise. Practice may help, but it's pretty tough to do over the short term. The best solution is to read lots of boring stuff for a year or so prior to the mcat, and really learn to understand what they're saying. If you don't have that luxury, you should just do as many practice passages as possible.
               

              drjj

              Junior Member
              10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Nov 29, 2004
              17
              0
                When i took the april mcat i got a 7v, so what i did was just take practice verbal reasoning tests from a review kaplan book, and some exam krackers tests. I always got frustrated with verbal but i thought the key was my time management. I would do a passage and no matter where i was i would move on to another passage after 8 minutes. Therefore at the end i had plenty of time to go back over my answers. But this was my technique and it might not work for everybody.Just go in there and think positive. I ended up with a 10v in august so i was pumped up about it.
                 

                MrTee

                Senior Member
                15+ Year Member
                Oct 14, 2003
                337
                2
                  drjj said:
                  When i took the april mcat i got a 7v, so what i did was just take practice verbal reasoning tests from a review kaplan book, and some exam krackers tests. I always got frustrated with verbal but i thought the key was my time management. I would do a passage and no matter where i was i would move on to another passage after 8 minutes. Therefore at the end i had plenty of time to go back over my answers. But this was my technique and it might not work for everybody.Just go in there and think positive. I ended up with a 10v in august so i was pumped up about it.

                  I used a tactic similar to this except I let myself have 10-11 min per passage, then I would move on no matter what. This left me with no time to go back to check (which I thought would have been too time consuming for my reading rate), but it worked out okay. Try out a bunch of different approaches and see what works best for yourself.
                   
                  This thread is more than 16 years old.

                  Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

                  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  7. This thread is locked.