How long did it take you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monquin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I only have about 15 credit hours toward my undergraduate degree and I am 24 years old.

How long did it take everyone else to get their undergraduate degree?
I really want to kick it up a notch and try to get my UG degree in less than 4 years...

Anyone have a story of how quickly they finished their UG degree to encourage me? lol

Members don't see this ad.

I only have about 15 credit hours toward my undergraduate degree and I am 24 years old.

How long did it take everyone else to get their undergraduate degree?
I really want to kick it up a notch and try to get my UG degree in less than 4 years...

Anyone have a story of how quickly they finished their UG degree to encourage me? lol

I finished mine in 4, but was a bit behind going into my senior year and completed 60 of the 180 necessary credits (trimester units) that year. I also finished the academic requirements for my masters in one year. It seemed the more full my schedule was, the better I did.

If you are going to school full time and not having to accomodate around your work schedule, I would say completing the rest in 3 years is very possible.

my degree will have taken 8 years (off and on, working, family, change of majors, etc.) but my wife completed her undergrad in 3 and her masters in 1. she did have a few (not many) AP classes, she usually took a full schedule during the summer (2-3 classes), and she was an accounting major so she had no labs. She got her MAcc also so again, no labs. Unfortunately those suck down some major time.

Members don't see this ad :)
could have finished in 3 since taken tons of college class since 16, chose not to.. enjoyed college too much.

I had one year of undergrad, 15 years ago. Most of the classes I took were premed prereqs that I had to retake/repeat due to being too old and/or incomplete grades. I went back to school 5 years ago to resume my original dream of pursuing a career in medicine.

Right now, I'm in my sixth and final year of my Bachelor's degree. I certainly could have finished sooner if I weren't working a demanding full-time job and doing all of the other volunteering/extracurricular activities. But, better to go slower and be a better prepared applicant, IMO. :)

*deleted for being long and not particularly relevant*

Last edited:
3 years for me. I took night classes at a community college when I was in High School and then took summer school twice.

By the time I actually finish my undergrad, it will have taken me an entire career. 25 years. I started young - both work and family. I took some college courses here and there, but most of my education focused on my paramedic cert. and continuing education in that area and then non-college firefighter based professional learning, conferences, hands-on-training, so that I may excel in my chosen career. (I actually just finished 2 professional AS degrees within the last year just because I wanted to.) Now that that career is coming to an end, I am paving the road for Act II of my life with this possibly irrational, definitely hare-brained idea of applying to med school. Even if that doesn't happen, I'll still create options for myself by having the Bachelors at retirement.