How long did you shadow a DO before asking for a LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zelda840

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I only have one day of shadowing for a total of 9 hours. I called the office the day after and asked to set up another day to shadow but they haven't gotten back to me. I start summer classes on Monday, so I'm worried I'm not going to get another chance. She was the only DO in my area to return any of my calls/emails. How awkward would it be to ask for a LOR after one day? It seems kind of weird to me since she doesn't even know me, but I thought I'd ask you guys. I think I have the stats for my target school (DMU) and I'd hate to have a lackluster LOR ruin my chances, but I don't want to wait too long to ask either.

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like a good rule of thumb is long enough for them to remember your name.

Reactions: 1 user
LORs after 1 day are usually just bare minimum, take the time to go once a week if you can for a month or two.. and get to know them more?

If you have a stronger MD lor, use that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol 2 years for me.

It took me about 3 months.

The day I went in with the intention of asking I swear I didn't hear a word he said all day. He'd talk to me and my mind would be on a constant "ASKHIMASKHIMASKHIMASKHIMASKHIMASKHIM" loop.

I thought I was going to throw up from anxiety (I'm kind of an anxious person) but then I asked and he was like, "Sure! I'd love to!"

Then I felt stupid for ever worrying.

little under a week. but I was going for 8 hours a day.

Reactions: 1 users
If you can't get more shadowing time, ask for a meeting, maybe a lunchtime thing. Just another opportunity to meet face to face so that you can ask. Lay it out there... After watching you work with patients, I have decided that I want to be a DO. I was very interested in blah, blah, blah. The school I am really excited about wants a letter of recommendation from a DO. I know we haven't had a lot of time to get to know one another, but I can see how busy you are, and I don't want to make a pest of myself. Would you be able to write a letter for me if I gave you a resume/CV/list of my activities that you could refer to?

You could do this by email, as well, but given only 1 shadowing day, I would recommend trying hard to meet, even if for only 15-20 minutes.

They don't really get to know you well while you are shadowing them anyhow. They know why you are shadowing them... they went through this process themselves. Just be polite, but assertive, and ask for what you need from them, and you will generally find them to be pleased to help.

Reactions: 2 users
I shadowed for like 5 hours but asked for a letter even before shadowing... it was a urgent matter and a tad awkward. But I am going shadow him again, even though he had already written my letter. A very good letter I might add. I lucked out?

If you find a doctor who you can connect with it should not be difficult to relate to them things you're missing for your application (i.e. they know why you're seeking them out in the first place). If they're not terribly old, you can imagine they still probably remember remnants of what they did for their applications. I was up front with the doctor I was in contact with for only a week or so before I started talking to him about my application, and after we were done discussing everything, I told him I still needed shadowing and a letter. It was that easy. You have to remember we are all people, and if you're really able to talk to someone they won't have an issue emphasizing with the position you're in. Approach them like a person and not some sort of magical floating degree.

Like you said, the hardest part is getting the chance to talk to someone as everyone is very busy.

It all depends on their view and opinion of you. I shadowed a DO for literally a long day and got an extremely strong letter from him.

I only have one day of shadowing for a total of 9 hours. I called the office the day after and asked to set up another day to shadow but they haven't gotten back to me. I start summer classes on Monday, so I'm worried I'm not going to get another chance. She was the only DO in my area to return any of my calls/emails. How awkward would it be to ask for a LOR after one day? It seems kind of weird to me since she doesn't even know me, but I thought I'd ask you guys. I think I have the stats for my target school (DMU) and I'd hate to have a lackluster LOR ruin my chances, but I don't want to wait too long to ask either.
You should contact DO directly. I simply text those whom I'm shadowing when I'd like to come in again - creates a more personal relationship. I've shadowed an MD for 30+ hours - getting an LOR. Shadowed DO about 8 hours so far and hoping to get to about 20 hours and will be asking for LOR.

I really needed a LOR from a DO so I asked mine after shadowing twice for a total of 4 hours. I was desperate but he gladly wrote one for me and I was accepted to the school I wanted to go to.