How long did you shadow...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shava9865

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to know how long did you all shadow a pod? For those of you who only shadowed for a short amount of time (i.e. less than a week), did you ask for a LOR? I have just begun shadowing (this shadowing a pod has been far by the best shadowing experience I've ever had). I want to submit my application by the end of this week, but I know I haven't shadowed for too long and wouldn't feel comfortable asking for a LOR so soon. What should I do? Thanks in advance...

Members don't see this ad.

this is a great question, i started shadowing about a month ago and wasnt sure how much shadowing should i get before i ask for the LOR. I'm in the same boat as you sorry i couldn't help! Another question i have is.. should i just shadow one pod for a lot of hours or try to split time between 2 but have less hours per pod?

I actually shadowed 8 different pods. Since I didnt know any I simply did a google search for where i live. I called multiple places and set up times to shadow. I came across a few docs who were a lot of fun to be around and shadowed them more. It was good to see multiple offices. I would recommend going to several even if its just for a day or two. You wanna get a good feel for what the profession is in nice and not so nice offices.

As for the LOR... Everyone told me to wait about a month or so until I asked. Usually if you tell the docs where you are in your application process they will offer to write one (if they like you). In my case I didnt even have to ask. They just offered. They know what the deal is.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually shadowed 8 different pods. Since I didnt know any I simply did a google search for where i live. I called multiple places and set up times to shadow. I came across a few docs who were a lot of fun to be around and shadowed them more. It was good to see multiple offices. I would recommend going to several even if its just for a day or two. You wanna get a good feel for what the profession is in nice and not so nice offices.

As for the LOR... Everyone told me to wait about a month or so until I asked. Usually if you tell the docs where you are in your application process they will offer to write one (if they like you). In my case I didnt even have to ask. They just offered. They know what the deal is.

Good luck!

You said you shadowed several different pods...how much time did you spend per shadowing session? For instance, I shadow a couple times a week for 3-4 hours. Do you think this is enough? How often did you shadow (i.e. once a week, everyday, etc) and for what length of time (i.e. a week, a month)?

Another question...should I still submit my application with the pod LOR?

I shadowed one for about 40 hours and asked for the LOR after 15 hours. I'm not sure how meaningful the letter was but I was accepted to my top choice...:p

I shadowed for about a month. I just asked the doctors outright(when I first met them) if they could write me one. I think you should ask them if they can write you one, preferably when they have downtime. Giving them a copy of your resume would also help. Let them know that you have a deadline to meet since the schools require a letter from a DPM.

Last edited:
Mine asked me what I thought about Podiatry after two days of shadowing and openly offered to help me with a letter of recommendation. Worked out pretty well. I thanked him, got the letter, applied, and have kept shadowing.

i shadowed for about 2 weeks then she offered me a job working at the front desk. been with her for a little over a year. needless to say i got an amazing LOR not only from her, but the doc's i met through her:D

I shadowed each doc initially for one day. More or less 8 hours. After that I stuck with one doc I really liked. I even shadowed in the OR for a day and plan on going into the OR again soon. I guess it doesnt hurt to ask after a short amount of time if you are connecting with them well. If they buy you lunch and hang out with you and like you I'm sure they will write you a letter. If they dont talk to you much or pay much attention then I wouldnt ask.

I'm applying to pod school this year, and I am having trouble finding a pod to shadow. I was wondering if it is possible to get in pod school without shadowing a pod for the letter of rec? Nearly half the pod schools don't require letter of recs from pods I believe. I'm still gonna try to find a pod but I'd like to know my options.