How long did you study for the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myameena

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of studying for the DAT all summer and then taking it in the fall. Study about 3 hours each night. My hubby thinks I should study for 6 months 8 hours a day. What is reasonable????

Members don't see this ad.

Well I am not an expert or anything, but my common sense advice is : as much as necessary gauging your progress on how well you do on sample tests. Im sure it varies depending on person quite a bit so I dont know if anyone could give you any solid numbers on how much to study.

You do not want to overkill yourself. Also, since you are married you should spend some quality time with your husband too. I studied for a while. I took that blasted kaplan class which I thought would sufficiently prepare me, but it didn't. So i studied for another 3 months after the kaplan class for about 3-5 hours a day. I split up morning 2-3 hours studing with a 2 hours break then 2-3 hour study session in the afternoon (different subject).

DesiDentist

PS: myameena..you tried to PM me but my inbox was full, please re-send your original message. Sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how prepared you are already, but I hadn't had any science classes for many years. I put in 1 month of part time and 2 months of full time studying.

It really depends a lot on how prepared you are already. And how much effort you are willing to put in/ how perfectionist you are and what score you want.

I say this especially if it has been a while since you took the courses and you took them only once. Versus someone who just finished them. was a bio major who knows genetics, physiology and physical chem backwards and forwards.

The biggest issue I had were gaps in knowledge. For example, my chem class never went over phase changes/ solutions. So I had to learn it on my own and that sucked! I also had to learn the lytic/lysogenic cycles, the lac operon, etc. And some stuff on ethers, phenols and carbohydrates.

It really also depends how perfectionist you are. And how high/low your GPA is. I'd say for someone who is already well prepared and has all day to study, 6 weeks. For others it could be 6-7 months of on and off studying, perfecting your PAT skills, etc. Hope this helps.

I believe 3 hours per night for a month or two is more than enough if you are actually studying the entire 3 hours. DAT is not tricky......you either know or don't know the questions. I think if you know the Kaplan book (the thick one) inside and out and do 3 or 4 practice tests, you'll be more than prepared.....just make sure you get plenty of sleep the night b4.

Most of my classmates studied a month or two and they all did fine (20 avg). I studied for a week goofin off for the first 4 days, so actual stuyding time was like 3 days....and did fine. A close friend of mine studied for a hour and a half the morning of the test in the parking lot of the sylvan learning center and got 21 avg :eek: ! So don't freak yourself too much! Good luck!

Yes it all depends on what you know already. back when I took the dat in 94 or 95(geez I am getting old) the only book out there was some betz guide. I studied it through and through 3 days before the exam and scored in the mid 20s on all the sections. Some other friends of mine started 2 months or so in advance. My only advice is concentrate and be disciplined. Don't study the night before...just releax