How long do I need to do a masters program before I apply to dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredentist?123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Okay I am a little lost about something...

I complete undergrad in May 2021. I am currently applying for masters/postbacc programs right now for me to join in August 2021. This program will most likely end around May 2022, and the goal is to start dental school August 2022. If I want to get into dental school by August 2022 (next fall), don't I have to apply for dental school between May-September of 2021? I am confused because I am doing a masters to bring up my GPA but if I apply in a few months for the next dental school cycle, how will be my new grades in my masters program be accounted for?

Can someone please explain the cycles to me? I am so lost.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Okay I am a little lost about something...

I complete undergrad in May 2021. I am currently applying for masters/postbacc programs right now for me to join in August 2021. This program will most likely end around May 2022, and the goal is to start dental school August 2022. If I want to get into dental school by August 2022 (next fall), don't I have to apply for dental school between May-September of 2021? I am confused because I am doing a masters to bring up my GPA but if I apply in a few months for the next dental school cycle, how will be my new grades in my masters program be accounted for?

Can someone please explain the cycles to me? I am so lost.
The cycle starts in June, so if you apply this June and gain admission to a school you would be starting in the fall of 2022, so yes you have to apply this year even though your program isn't finished. When you start filling out your AADSAS app you'll be able to put in your planned courses and periodically update the portal with the grades you receive in this masters program. Those grades will be compiled into a Graduate GPA for schools to see and will be separate from your undergrad GPA. If you do a postbacc, your grades will be combined with your original undergrad grades and you'll have a new undergrad GPA.

don't I have to apply for dental school between May-September of 2021?
Yes.
I am confused because I am doing a masters to bring up my GPA but if I apply in a few months for the next dental school cycle, how will be my new grades in my masters program be accounted for?
Well first, as cap said, doing a post-bacc program increases your undergrad GPA, whereas doing a masters gives you a graduate GPA. I would pick the program that best suits your needs (if you're below a 3.0 or have a non-science major, I'd recommend an SMP; if you're above a 3.0, then you could do either an SMP or a post-bacc.)

You'll apply with the GPA you currently have and say that you'll be attending xyz program in the fall and put in your planned classes. Because you have no grades to show improvement yet, schools might place your app on hold until your first semester grades are in (~Dec), so you may only receive post-Dec interviews. Because of this, it may be better to apply next year (for matriculation in Fall 2023) after you've shown improvement in your GPA, but it depends on your particular situation. You also have to study for and take the DAT, and you should aim to take that only once and score as high as you possibly can (21-22+ is reasonably competitive, but your app as a whole must be strong too).

EDIT: Went back and read your other thread. Your best bet is doing a masters but applying after you have taken a solid amount of units to really show that you can handle dental school. You've also already taken the the DAT once, so you really need to show improvement with that too. I think if you do a 2yr masters, your path will go something like this:
- graduate undergrad May 2021
- start masters program Fall 2021 - maintain 4.0
--- study and retake DAT ---
- apply for dental school June 2022
- complete second year of masters and update grades throughout the cycle
- graduate masters program Spring 2023
- start dental school Fall 2023

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes.

Well first, as cap said, doing a post-bacc program increases your undergrad GPA, whereas doing a masters gives you a graduate GPA. I would pick the program that best suits your needs (if you're below a 3.0 or have a non-science major, I'd recommend an SMP; if you're above a 3.0, then you could do either an SMP or a post-bacc.)

You'll apply with the GPA you currently have and say that you'll be attending xyz program in the fall and put in your planned classes. Because you have no grades to show improvement yet, schools might place your app on hold until your first semester grades are in (~Dec), so you may only receive post-Dec interviews. Because of this, it may be better to apply next year (for matriculation in Fall 2023) after you've shown improvement in your GPA, but it depends on your particular situation. You also have to study for and take the DAT, and you should aim to take that only once and score as high as you possibly can (21-22+ is reasonably competitive, but your app as a whole must be strong too).

EDIT: Went back and read your other thread. Your best bet is doing a masters but applying after you have taken a solid amount of units to really show that you can handle dental school. You've also already taken the the DAT once, so you really need to show improvement with that too. I think if you do a 2yr masters, your path will go something like this:
- graduate undergrad May 2021
- start masters program Fall 2021 - maintain 4.0
--- study and retake DAT ---
- apply for dental school June 2022
- complete second year of masters and update grades throughout the cycle
- graduate masters program Spring 2023
- start dental school Fall 2023
Thank you for the response! What about linkage master/postbacc programs (example:Rutgers)? Would that help me save a year instead of doing 2 whole years of masters?

Thank you for the response! What about linkage master/postbacc programs (example:Rutgers)? Would that help me save a year instead of doing 2 whole years of masters?
Yeah definitely but those might be more competitive to get into and you need to meet their requirements (usually GPA and DAT) in order to do the linkage and go from the program to the dental school, and you'd be limited to that one school. What I said above was to be able to open as many doors as you can so that you're not stuck at one crazy expensive program + dental school.