How long do I need to prep for the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chorne31

Reaction score
I am going to begin prepping in June and was wondering how long I need to prep total?

Members don't see this ad.

Super variable.

Are you currently a student? STEM major or non?
Have you taken a practice test? If so, what is your baseline?
What is your goal score? 'Harvard or Bust' or 'P=MD / 70=DO'?

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Super variable.

Are you currently a student? STEM major or non?
Have you taken a practice test? If so, what is your baseline?
What is your goal score? 'Harvard or Bust' or 'P=MD / 70=DO'?

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
I am currently a sophomore that is a stem major. I have taken all gen chem, organic chem, and bio series. I have also taken psychology. My goal score is a 512-515. I will have all summer with no plans so I am thinking this is a good time to prepare.

You can take as much time as you need to prepare. I personally spent about 5 months while being in school and working full time. I would suggest to start reviewing memorization-heavy contents over the summer (Biology, P/S, Biochemistry). And then move on to the lighter contents (first semester)—> practice problems and practice FL’s (2months) —> AAMC materials (2 months). This should be enough to prepare you for the test on May and apply on time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently a sophomore that is a stem major. I have taken all gen chem, organic chem, and bio series. I have also taken psychology. My goal score is a 512-515. I will have all summer with no plans so I am thinking this is a good time to prepare.
I'd say this is a great time to prepare. I wish I was that prepared when in your shoes. If you haven't taken physics or biochem yet I would suggest taking them before taking the real exam. But the more working time you put in this summer, which doesn't even have to be a ton of time each day, think of it as a slow burn, the happier you will be when you do your real dedicated next year. That was a really run-on sentence lol.

Review the topics you have done and do a bunch of practice questions and even stick your nose into cars because that section takes a while to develop your skills.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors