how long do LORs last?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polyploidy516

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
im in a dilemma.Im all set to apply for the Spring of 2017. I have an LOR from my old PI ( i worked in her lab in 2013-2014). I would like to use her letter as it was a very important experience for me. Since then, I have done clinical research, tutored, and taken classes.

Could I still use this letter? I would like to use this letter because shes a top faculty member at my top choice. Would the letter be too old? I primarily delayed my application due to financial issues that i wanted to resolve. I feel the letter will be helpful as it delves into my character and personal traits.

I also have 3 recent letters as well.

Your help would be appreciated.

@Goro @LizzyM @Catalystik

Members don't see this ad.

I would strongly recommend getting in touch with your old PI. Tell her what you've been doing since you left her lab, the financial issues that led you to delay your application and what you've done to over come those. Tell her what excites you about a career in medicine and then tell her that you plan to apply in 2017. Then ask her if she would be able to provide you with a strong, up-dated letter of recommendation. Note that you appreciate that she took the time to write on your behalf a few years ago but that you feel that an updated letter might be considered stronger but that if she is too busy, you'll understand and use the older letter.

It can't hurt, it might help.

Reactions: 2 users
I would strongly recommend getting in touch with your old PI. Tell her what you've been doing since you left her lab, the financial issues that led you to delay your application and what you've done to over come those. Tell her what excites you about a career in medicine and then tell her that you plan to apply in 2017. Then ask her if she would be able to provide you with a strong, up-dated letter of recommendation. Note that you appreciate that she took the time to write on your behalf a few years ago but that you feel that an updated letter might be considered stronger but that if she is too busy, you'll understand and use the older letter.

It can't hurt, it might help.

Dear LizzyM,

I am grateful for your clarification. I will definitely get back in touch with my old PI and give her an update on everything.

If for some reason is she unable to give me an updated letter ( shes an extremely busy faculty member), would it be alright if I use the old letter? I havent done much since then and have gotten recommendations from my newer activities as well.

I mainly do not want my chances to be negatively impacted by this primarily because i feel that she gave me a strong letter and that shes a faculty member at my top choice ( a top 10).'

Your further clarification would be truly appreciated. thank you once again.

Dear LizzyM,

I am grateful for your clarification. I will definitely get back in touch with my old PI and give her an update on everything.

If for some reason is she unable to give me an updated letter ( shes an extremely busy faculty member), would it be alright if I use the old letter? I havent done much since then and have gotten recommendations from my newer activities as well.

I mainly do not want my chances to be negatively impacted by this primarily because i feel that she gave me a strong letter and that shes a faculty member at my top choice ( a top 10).'

Your further clarification would be truly appreciated. thank you once again.

It wouldn't hurt to use the old letter but if she is a busy and smart PI, she saved the letter and all it would take would be to update the paragraph where she states how long she's known you and change the date. If she were feeling strongly about it, she might add that she's been in touch recently and how well you communicate your desire to pursue a career in medicine and why she thinks that is a good choice for you given your skills and interests. It could be a better letter than the old letter but there is no harm in using the old letter.

Reactions: 1 user