How long do you need to study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nope80

Resident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was hoping someone could give me some urgent advice about how long I need to study for step 1 as I need to schedule it asap.

We get off Tuesday May 12th and start third year Monday June 15th. I would love a bit of a break before islands but what do you all think is optimal? Are there any good schedules out there? Our school apparently doesn't give us that much time to study.

What do you all think? Its hard to tell how much time one would need if you have never taken it before, you know? Very hard to judge...

Members don't see this ad.

Depends. Before I found what really made things stick, I spread stuff out over a few months. I found that spreading things too far apart lets you forget a lot of crap.

I think 4-6 weeks of good studying with methods you know maximize retention is pretty good. I took my boards yesterday and felt that the things I prepared well for I really knew. I had time to spend on the things I didn't know, but elected to use that time for stuff I though would be more represented on our exam. I knew the hell out of micro, more than I needed, unfortuntaely at the expense of biochem and autonomic pharm.

Well as you can tell from my timeline, our school only give 4 weeks and a few days. The question is how much of a break should I give myself before rotations? Any personal experiences? I just don't know how tight the schedule is to begin with and how much a few days matters??

Anyone have any good 4 week schedules?