How long do you take to get through a lecture?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted925031

I'm a D1 and our school is doing pre-recorded online lectures because of the pandemic. I've taken 1-2 tests for each of my classes so far and I've performed well (90+). My method of studying is watching the lectures and using my iPad and Notability to write down everything the lecturer says onto the slides. The method has been effective as far as grades go. I, however, take forever to get through a single lecture because of all of the pausing to write down everything that is verbalized, pausing to understand before moving on, rewinding if I missed something to write down, etc. An hour lecture takes about 3 hours to get through. I feel like I can be more efficient but I also don't want to miss any key points that are verbalized but not written on the prepared slides (some professors say things that aren't on the slides). I was planning to work on 3 of my classes today but I only got to work on biochemistry.

I manage to get through the needed material prior to the exam(s) but end up using the entire day at my desk leading up to the test and I need to find a better way or I think I'll burn out eventually. I do think going through the lecture slooowly isn't too unproductive because one reason I take long is because I try to learn the material on the spot (of course will continue to review each day leading up to the test) but again, it sucks up so much time.

One method I am contemplating is pretending that the recorded lectures are live lectures and just getting through them in one shot as if it was a traditinoal classroom without a pause button. I don't want to miss any key points though. On the other hand, I might learn to jot down what matters rather than try to write down every word that comes out of the lecturers mouth.

Do you have any more tips to be more efficient when watching lectures/note taking? Is what I am doing normal and is it expected that I should be sitting here for hours on end trying to get through lectures? Maybe this is normal dental school life that I just have to accept :mask:

Members don't see this ad.

i can't say i ever spent 3 hours per hour of lecture. Writing down everything the lecturer says is definitely overkill and will lead to burnout. During D1, i would rewatch each lecture for the first round of tests and take reasonable (not every word they said) notes on them at 1.5x speed. Then, after the first round of tests you should be able to gauge which classes you'll have to pay close attention to lectures and which classes are based only out of power points. Also, reach out to current D2's on which classes they think lecture is worth watching. You might be surprised how many professors only pull from what's in the notes.

Reactions: 2 users
A bit too thorough in my opinion. Unless you have nothing else to do
I preferred to use different sources on a subject. For example: listen to a lecture and make notes, watch video on youtube, read a textbook

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve never watched a prerecorded lecture at slower than 2x speed. If you’re going to take that much time you may as well have watched the lecture 3 times at 2x for the repeated exposure and you’d still come up having used half your current time. Then spend a half hour on anything you still didn’t get the third time through? You’d be done in 2hrs instead of 3...but honestly if I was scoring that high I’d dial back and enjoy some of the non dentistry related things I like to do. It all depends on your personal goals though.

I'm a D1 and our school is doing pre-recorded online lectures because of the pandemic. I've taken 1-2 tests for each of my classes so far and I've performed well (90+). My method of studying is watching the lectures and using my iPad and Notability to write down everything the lecturer says onto the slides. The method has been effective as far as grades go. I, however, take forever to get through a single lecture because of all of the pausing to write down everything that is verbalized, pausing to understand before moving on, rewinding if I missed something to write down, etc. An hour lecture takes about 3 hours to get through. I feel like I can be more efficient but I also don't want to miss any key points that are verbalized but not written on the prepared slides (some professors say things that aren't on the slides). I was planning to work on 3 of my classes today but I only got to work on biochemistry.

I manage to get through the needed material prior to the exam(s) but end up using the entire day at my desk leading up to the test and I need to find a better way or I think I'll burn out eventually. I do think going through the lecture slooowly isn't too unproductive because one reason I take long is because I try to learn the material on the spot (of course will continue to review each day leading up to the test) but again, it sucks up so much time.

One method I am contemplating is pretending that the recorded lectures are live lectures and just getting through them in one shot as if it was a traditinoal classroom without a pause button. I don't want to miss any key points though. On the other hand, I might learn to jot down what matters rather than try to write down every word that comes out of the lecturers mouth.

Do you have any more tips to be more efficient when watching lectures/note taking? Is what I am doing normal and is it expected that I should be sitting here for hours on end trying to get through lectures? Maybe this is normal dental school life that I just have to accept :mask:

You’re going to burn out. Dental school will force you to be more efficient - you won’t have a choice. Follow along with lectures, but only write things that are not in the slides.

Reactions: 1 user