How long does it take for schools to receive scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleepinxlionhar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I know that this has been asked many times, but I just want to get a general consensus. So I'm deciding when to take my DAT, and I don't want to take it too late in the cycle. My finals end on June 25th, and I'm thinking of taking the DAT on July 15th. Given that DAT scores won't be sent out until 2-4 weeks after the test date, I don't want to postpone my test any further. However, I did read that some schools can receive the scores within days of the test date if they access if electronically. So I'm not even sure now when I should be scheduling my test. The thing is that I'm not sure if 3 weeks is enough time for me to prepare, and I want to apply as early as possible, but also have a strong score.

So I'm just wondering, what is a good time to take the DAT, but that isn't too late? Oh, btw, I'm planning on sending my app out on about the 26th of June, if that makes a difference.

Members don't see this ad.

if u plan on taking the DAT on july 15 and sending ur applicaiton june 26, ur application will be very similar to mine.

i took the DAT last yr on July 14 and sent my applciation june 28th, u can see my predents profile. IMO, it is still a little on the early side. with my low DAT score, i've received 6 interviews...not bad. so the only difference between u and me will be our DAT scores.

the schools can get ur DAT scores electronically 2-4 weeks after u take ur DAT i believe, not immediately after u take it. also, u have to update ur DAT score on aadsas, which will also be sent prolly 2 weeks after u update. i think aadsas doesn't mail them anymore. however, if u want them to see it early, u can fax it to them first. but i'm pretty sure it won't make that big of a difference. again...u're still on the early side.

Hey, cool! you're from UCI, me too! I guess that's why we're having similar schedules, haha. Good to know, thanks for the advice!

Hey there fellow Anteaters! Don't finals end on the 12th? My graduation is on the 13th, so I sure hope so! I think July 15th is a good date to plan to take the test. See how you're doing on practice tests, and if you need to, you can still push it back another week or two. DO NOT take the test before you're ready! I was planning on taking it in July last year too, but things kept coming up and I didn't feel ready, and I eventually ended up taking it on November 13th! The extra time allowed me to be better prepared and I did well - but definitely don't push it back as long as I did!

Since they really start looking at the apps in mid august to early September, I think if you take it by Aug 1st you'd still have a good shot at being in the first round of interviews. Also, don't wait to send your app in, it really doesn't take long to fill out. Have everything ready to copy and paste in, and then once June 1st comes around, bam, all done.

Also, yes, I called the ADA and they said that they do make the DAT scores available to all of the schools you set within days electronically, but it takes like 3 weeks for them to get your scores on paper. None of my schools looked at the electronic copy at all.

Good luck! (Join UCI ASDA too!) :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey predent, thanks for the advice. I'm pretty much in the same boat as well.
So you sent in your app before you had your scores. Does it make sense to just have everything in your app finished and then to just send it when you get your scores right after the test?

Hey there fellow Anteaters! Don't finals end on the 12th? My graduation is on the 13th, so I sure hope so! I think July 15th is a good date to plan to take the test. See how you're doing on practice tests, and if you need to, you can still push it back another week or two. DO NOT take the test before you're ready! I was planning on taking it in July last year too, but things kept coming up and I didn't feel ready, and I eventually ended up taking it on November 13th! The extra time allowed me to be better prepared and I did well - but definitely don't push it back as long as I did!

Since they really start looking at the apps in mid august to early September, I think if you take it by Aug 1st you'd still have a good shot at being in the first round of interviews. Also, don't wait to send your app in, it really doesn't take long to fill out. Have everything ready to copy and paste in, and then once June 1st comes around, bam, all done.

Also, yes, I called the ADA and they said that they do make the DAT scores available to all of the schools you set within days electronically, but it takes like 3 weeks for them to get your scores on paper. None of my schools looked at the electronic copy at all.

Good luck! (Join UCI ASDA too!) :D

Hey Vicviper,
Yeah I believe finals end on the 12th, oh oops, I miss typed it there. But final grades don't come in until the 19th(physics prof said the 25th..:eyebrow:, should have actually checked the final calendar beforehand). So nm, i meant that I'll submit my app say..June 22nd or so. Hm, now that you say they won't be looking at it until mid August to Sept, maybe I can push it back a few more weeks:xf:Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey predent, thanks for the advice. I'm pretty much in the same boat as well.
So you sent in your app before you had your scores. Does it make sense to just have everything in your app finished and then to just send it when you get your scores right after the test?

well...after u finish ur aadsas application, u have to send in ur official trasncripts, which will take 2 weeks for them to receive + 2 weeks for them to check the grades and calculate ur gpa. so basically...u're saving about a month's worth of time i think.

they had everything from me by end of july. if i completed the app. after i finished, i think they would have everything at end of august.

I recommend to take the exam when your completely ready!! Don't rush into it if your not confident. Even if you wait until july to take it, submit your application beforehand so that way the schools are only just waiting for your scores, which normally takes about 2-3 weeks. Good luck!