How long does it take to get secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluepeach9

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If my AMCAS was verified around August 25th, and I added schools immediately that day, how long will it take for me to get secondaries?

Members don't see this ad.

It varies by school. Some schools send them immediately, some pre-screen and send them months later, some don't pre-screen and still take weeks to send them. The majority, however, will send them within 1-5 days of receiving your primary.

It varies by school. Some schools send them immediately, some pre-screen and send them months later, some don't pre-screen and still take weeks to send them. The majority, however, will send them within 1-5 days of receiving your primary.

Do you know which schools don't prescreen but send them weeks later? Why would they do that, that's upsetting...

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know which schools don't prescreen but send them weeks later? Why would they do that, that's upsetting...
Schools that come to mind are: Drexel, Temple, Rutgers in my experience. Also if you're applying to schools that require or "strongly suggest" CASPer (Rutgers-RWJ, NYMC, Tulane, and someone else that I'm missing) then you should consider taking CASPer ASAP.

Schools that screen: VCU, Vanderbilt, UCSF, UCLA immediately come to mind but I know there are more than just them.

Schools that come to mind are: Drexel, Temple, Rutgers in my experience. Also if you're applying to schools that require or "strongly suggest" CASPer (Rutgers-RWJ, NYMC, Tulane, and someone else that I'm missing) then you should consider taking CASPer ASAP.

Schools that screen: VCU, Vanderbilt, UCSF, UCLA immediately come to mind but I know there are more than just them.

Hmm…do you think it would be a good idea to add these schools to my primary before getting my MCAT score back? So that I can receive and complete their secondary earlier?

You stated in your other thread that you weren't going to submit your primary until 2-4 days after you take your MCAT. In all likelihood you won't even be verified by the time your MCAT score comes in, or you will be verified within a few days of receiving the score. I guess what I'm trying to say is, those schools won't receive your primary until within a few days of you receiving your MCAT score so you are better off waiting until you get your MCAT score back so you can decide if the app is even worth your time or money.

The decision is entirely up to you, I don't think it would be harmful either way. Just complete the secondaries for those schools as soon as you get them. It's a situation that's out of your control, really, so there's no reason to panic about it.

Hope that was helpful, let me know if you have other questions. Good luck with your apps and your MCAT :)