• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

premedliz

Jul 15, 2021
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I just took the Kaplan full length practice test. Thought this would be a good place to start and see what I need to focus on. I got a 482 (4th percentile YIKES). I’ve been doing my MPH, so I’ve been out of STEM classes for 2 years.

I don’t need to take the exam until March, is this enough time to raise my score to a 510?

I know it’s a big jump, but I feel like I’m starting to study pretty early, since I need to relearn everything! Also, any study advice/ material recommendations would be appreciated :)

JimKimSlim

Feb 5, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I wouldn’t worry to much over a third party practice FL. Some of them make them hard intentionally to make you spend more money on their products. Just go at your own pace, and I wouldn’t worry until you take your first AAMC FL exams.

Reactions: 1 users

GreenDuck12

7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I agree with Jim, 3rd party exams are great for practice but not for approximating a score. In terms of how long it will take, no one can really know for sure. One of my students went from a sub 500 to a 520 in 6 weeks with 10+ hours of studying per day, I’ve had others who have gone from 500 to 506 in 4 months. It really depends on your needs, how effective you are with your time, how well you read and analyze passages, etc. I usually tell folks I work with to aim for between 300-500 hours of prep, ideally over no more than 4 months.

Reactions: 2 users

MedSchoolTutors

Top MCAT/USMLE/COMLEX Tutors Answer Your Questions
Vendor
2+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2019
www.medschooltutors.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
  2. Resident [Any Field]
  3. Attending Physician
If it's been a while since your last STEM class, then a low score should be expected. Once you do content review, you should see a pretty massive score increase.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

premedliz

Jul 15, 2021
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I wouldn’t worry to much over a third party practice FL. Some of them make them hard intentionally to make you spend more money on their products. Just go at your own pace, and I wouldn’t worry until you take your first AAMC FL exams.
Thank you so much! This makes me feel so much better!

premedliz

Jul 15, 2021
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I agree with Jim, 3rd party exams are great for practice but not for approximating a score. In terms of how long it will take, no one can really know for sure. One of my students went from a sub 500 to a 520 in 6 weeks with 10+ hours of studying per day, I’ve had others who have gone from 500 to 506 in 4 months. It really depends on your needs, how effective you are with your time, how well you read and analyze passages, etc. I usually tell folks I work with to aim for between 300-500 hours of prep, ideally over no more than 4 months.
Got it. That's gonna be a lot with my Masters and work, but I'll make it happen.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.