How long does it take to process my DAT score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bigbirdo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on re-taking my DAT in late July. I will submit my application soon after the application is open. However, I heard that it takes several weeks for the score to be processed. I know they don't look at your application until you submit your score. Since I would not get my score until late July, would my application considered to be late after my score is processed?

Members don't see this ad.

2-3 weeks.
I am submitting my app in June, but taking the DAT in mid or late July. Would my application be considered late by the time they finish processing my score? I also have my previous DAT score, but that is a bad one... Should I submit my old score and send the new one right after my retake? Would that speed up the process?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi bigbirdo, these questions come up a LOT.

A good read: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/the-first-batch-hullabaloo.1065887/

For people with "bad" DAT scores that are retaking, I always recommend waiting until you have your new scores to submit. You don't want there to be any chance of a school rejecting you before your new ones are in.

Send your transcripts to AADSAS about 2 weeks before you take the DAT. Submit your application on the day you take your DAT. Your DAT scores should be uploaded at about the same time your GPAs are calculated.

You will be squeaking by with getting everything in right at the beginning of August. It's all good.

Reactions: 1 user

A good read: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/the-first-batch-hullabaloo.1065887/

For people with "bad" DAT scores that are retaking, I always recommend waiting until you have your new scores to submit. You don't want there to be any chance of a school rejecting you before your new ones are in.

Send your transcripts to AADSAS about 2 weeks before you take the DAT. Submit your application on the day you take your DAT. Your DAT scores should be uploaded at about the same time your GPAs are calculated.

You will be squeaking by with getting everything in right at the beginning of August. It's all good.
Thank you for your great thread! I just would like you to clarify a little bit more.
Which option is better? Should I submit everything without a score first and send the score right after I finish the DAT? Or should I submit everything along with my new score? Does it make a difference?

Thank you for your great thread! I just would like you to clarify a little bit more.
Which option is better? Should I submit everything without a score first and send the score right after I finish the DAT? Or should I submit everything along with my new score? Does it make a difference?

Wait until you've taken your test to submit your app. It can even be the day of.

Wait until you've taken your test to submit your app. It can even be the day of.
Would it be a bad idea if I submit the application without my score? I am asking because someone else in this forum advised me to do this...... I am confused now.

Would it be a bad idea if I submit the application without my score? I am asking because someone else in this forum advised me to do this...... I am confused now.
I mean why would it be a bad idea.

Would it be a bad idea if I submit the application without my score? I am asking because someone else in this forum advised me to do this...... I am confused now. I mean why would it be a bad idea.

There is a chance that a school could see your initial DAT scores and toss you into the reject file before seeing your new ones.

That is a chance that I personally would not want to take. Why take risks when you don't have to? I wouldn't want a school to look at my application until it was truly ready for review.

If you take the DAT in mid-July and submit your application on the same day, you will still be an early applicant. There is no reason to submit beforehand.

You're going to get all sorts of different advice on here, and the choice is ultimately is up to you and what makes you most comfortable. If it were me, though, I just sure as heck wouldn't submit before I retook the test.

Reactions: 1 users
There is a chance that a school could see your initial DAT scores and toss you into the reject file before seeing your new ones.

That is a chance that I personally would not want to take. Why take risks when you don't have to? I wouldn't want a school to look at my application until it was truly ready for review.

If you take the DAT in mid-July and submit your application on the same day, you will still be an early applicant. There is no reason to submit beforehand.

You're going to get all sorts of different advice on here, and the choice is ultimately is up to you and what makes you most comfortable. If it were me, though, I just sure as heck wouldn't submit before I retook the test.
Hey, Glimmer. Can you submit the application first without a score? I thought that you can do this.... Correct me if I am wrong!

Shouldn't they technically wait for them if you indicated that you are retaking the test?

Yes, you can and it will be mailed out to each of your designations.
So if I send my application without a score first and send the score after my DAT, wouldn't that be faster than sending everything after my DAT?

So if I send my application without a score first and send the score after my DAT, wouldn't that be faster than sending everything after my DAT?

Possibly, your DAT score will take 2-3 weeks to process whereas your transcripts will likely take a shorter time so in the end it probably doesn't matter.

I'm a little confused though since you said you're retaking. Your previous DAT score is part of your record (attached to your DENTPIN) and will be sent along with your application (assuming you checked any schools when you previously registered for it) which is why Glimmer suggested that you wait until after your new scores come in to submit.

Last edited:
Possibly, your DAT score will take 2-3 weeks to process whereas your transcripts will likely take a shorter time so in the end it probably doesn't matter.

I'm a little confused though since you said you're retaking. Your previous DAT score is part of your record (attached to your DENTPIN) and will be sent along with your application (assuming you check any schools when you previously registered for it) which is why Glimmer suggested that you wait until after your new scores come in to submit.
Oh, Ok! I see what the confusion is right now. I thought I got to choose whether I send my old score or not.. Ok, Thank you and Glimmer very much! You guys are very helpful!!!

I think this has been covered, but yes, BOTH of your scores will be included.

I personally would not want a school to see only my first scores and then potentially not wait for my second ones before writing off my application. Technically, they say they will wait. But who knows--if they're swamped, they might not give your app another glance for a long time. I just wouldn't want to take that risk. When my application crossed their desk the first time, I would want it to be fully ready.

Shouldn't they technically wait for them if you indicated that you are retaking the test?

Technically, yes. But who knows! I wouldn't want to take the small chance that they wouldn't wait, and if they see your app for the first time with only "bad" scores, it might leave a sour taste in their mouth. :)

...but probably not. :D