How Long Is Too Long

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kimt2234

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long is too long to be in prereq's. I originally was planning on finishing my prereq's by May of 2007 and applying for admission for 2008. However, I am in my first semester taking gen chem. an dit is kicking my ass. The class is four credits and I am physically in class 8 hours per week. I was taking physics, but then that made the total 16 hours per week, and mind you this is for two classes (aka part-time student). I also work part-time too. I remember calling the chemistry department because I thougth this had to be a mistake and her response was most students don't take two classes with labs in the same semester. Well If that is the case and I want to have my prereq's done before I take an April MCAT, I won't be done with the prereq's until January of 2008.

Any feedback on this? IS that too long to be taking pre-med prereq's if you already have two degrees? I am not sure what to do and I want to do well in theses classes but the thought of putting this off another year is kinda irritating.

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you're close to your limit in terms of available time. Unless you want to go crazy (j/k), I think something will have to give -- either work time or school time, assuming you don't want to cut back any further on "you time." This is why I decided to go one year without an income, in order to take all the pre-reqs and get them done. I also figured that adcoms would see that I can handle a full course load, although I totally know how hard it is to work and study at the same time.

I dunno, kimt...there isn't necessarily a time limit within which you must take your pre-reqs. I know people who are taking theirs one at a time because of work or other concerns. It probably boils down to what you're comfortable with -- whether you're okay with stretching this out, or whether you'd much rather get this prep work out of the way sooner. FWIW, it's perfectly normal for people to take more than one lab class at once. Almost all of the science majors I knew as an undergrad took at least two at a time, starting with the first year classes as freshmen and then doubling up on the major-specific labs later on. It's not easy, of course, but I suspect that med school won't be any easier.

you can do it! :thumbup:
this is my 2nd semester working full time(40hrs/week) and taking 2 classes/sem (with lab in each of course :p ) I have class every day after work from monday thru thursday an dthe only night I am free is Friday and I go to the ER volunteer.

Managing your schedule is key! it is hard but you can do it! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Doing well in your classes is more important than doing them fast. While some med schools want their applicants to take a heavy load and do well (e.g. many Canadian med schools), if you are hurting in gen chem, then perhaps you can drop it or the other class and focus on doing well. Remember, that bad grades haunt you forever; you're stuck with them, and will often have to explain it to med schools and interviewers.

As far as how long it should take: as long as you need to do well and be successful.

Do bad grades really haunt you forever even if you have already graduated? When you think about it you can take post-bacc classes in an institution, not do so well, and then take them somewhere else and ace them, never actually reporting your scores from the primary post bacc.

Granted you're losing time and money...but regardless, am I right or is there some kind of permanent record?

chasingmytail said:
Do bad grades really haunt you forever even if you have already graduated? When you think about it you can take post-bacc classes in an institution, not do so well, and then take them somewhere else and ace them, never actually reporting your scores from the primary post bacc.

Granted you're losing time and money...but regardless, am I right or is there some kind of permanent record?
You must report ALL grades from all classes taken at any and all junior colleges/colleges/universities on your AMCAS application. If the AAMC discovers withholding of grades (intentional or otherwise), they can nullify your application.

So, yes. All of your colleges grades will follow you through the application process. Postbac grades can help if they're good, but they can also hurt if they're poor.

I think this is an interesting set of questions.

1) Do bad grade haunt you?

Yes they do when it comes to medical school. Those 3 C's you might have gotten while drinking your face off in univ. will take 3 A's to average out to a B.

2) Taking them somewhere and not reporting. etc.

This is academic dishonesty. You have to decide for yourself if its worth the risk of never getting into medical school. How much can it hurt? I really cant say. Another route is DO school where the replacement class (new grade) is the only one they consider in your GPA. MD schools do not do this.

3) Taking "too long".

There is no such thing. You are better off adding an extra year and getting high marks than finishing a year early with a 3.0. Doors will close based upon GPA but not time.

Circumstances under which you get bad grades are also taken into consideration. For example, if you were lazy or partied too much, an adcom won't be as sympathetic as if you had a serious illness (cancer, meningitis, etc - not the flu!) or if you had an immediate familiy emergency (death, illness of a child/spouse).

Also, if your bad grades were many years ago and you retake the course along with other upper-levels and do well, then it shows an upward trend.

So, yeah, grades count, but circumstances do, too, and it's all part of showing how you got to where you are and who you are now.

blee said:
You must report ALL grades from all classes taken at any and all junior colleges/colleges/universities on your AMCAS application. If the AAMC discovers withholding of grades (intentional or otherwise), they can nullify your application.

So, yes. All of your colleges grades will follow you through the application process. Postbac grades can help if they're good, but they can also hurt if they're poor.

oooh forr real? Nobody tells you these things!! LOL good to know.....

chasingmytail said:
oooh forr real? Nobody tells you these things!! LOL good to know.....

Yes, this is true. I even had to submit a transcript from the community college where I took a couple of classes back in high school 13 or 14 years ago. When they say ALL colleges attended, they really mean ALL of them. :smuggrin:

And I had to report an entire semester of failing grades from 20 years ago. Yes, 20 years ago. Failed every class. Went on my AMCAS. :(

ShyRem said:
And I had to report an entire semester of failing grades from 20 years ago. Yes, 20 years ago. Failed every class. Went on my AMCAS. :(

Boy, that really is a bummer. :( In my case, it was a hassle getting a hold of my records, but the grades were fine. The bright side of this though is that you're IIIIIIIIIIN!!!!!!!! :D

chasingmytail said:

I took all my pre reqs 10 years ago, all A's one semester with 2 C's (blew off the whole semester)
I later added about 60 hours toward a diff career and made mostly B's and C's (full time work and 22 hours per semester...just wanted to pass the courses).
Now I am haunted, not by the A's in the hard courses but by the easy courses that I blew off.
Live and learn.

I'd advise to take courses at whatever pace is comfortable and allows for you to keep your GPA on target. What seems to be the great irony of freshman drunkeness is that the older and more mature you get, and therefore the more able you are to handle higher workloads and keep up the grades, the more hours you have accumulated and thus the less each additional good grade contributes. Bottom line is that you will spend a lot more time trying to pull up a few C's or D's than you will pacing yourself and keeping the GPA up.

Something about taking less time to do a job right than to do it over comes to mind...