How long is your commute?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hebel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long is your commute and how long would you consider too far?

Members don't see this ad.

My pandemic commute is 15 seconds from my bedroom to my basement office. In the beforetimes it was 7 minutes. How long is too long is a personal question. I like living close to my office.

Reactions: 1 users

Home office: 1-min walk.
Consulting office: 5-min walk.

I'd say 60-min drive would be too far for me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Members don't see this ad :)
I commute 50 minutes 2-3 days per week. Everyday would suck but a couple days is actually nice.

I did several years at 42-46min with free flowing interstate.
Currently doing 22-24min, but taking back roads adds 2 minutes but gives me more goat/barn rural exposure.
Goal is to change office and reduce to 8min.

Reactions: 1 users
~10 miles. 20 minutes post pandemic, 30 minutes before. It also involves a good deal of walking. Parking lot is far away.

I did several years at 42-46min with free flowing interstate.
Currently doing 22-24min, but taking back roads adds 2 minutes but gives me more goat/barn rural exposure.
Goal is to change office and reduce to 8min.

How bad was the 42-46 minute one? I'm trying to keep things under 35 minutes, but might go up to 40 if i had to. I basically took a job that increased my commute from 10-20 minutes, to more like 25-40 minutes for about a 50K pay increase.

Every one has a different tolerance level. Only you can answer that question. There is a difference too between free flowing Interstate and also a 5 mile down town stop/go type flow with 1 hour commute. Some people listen to pod casts, or call family or jam to their favorite tunes. These can all be coping mechanisms.

I had schemed of living in some places and working at some locations, that would have been an 1hr 15 min commute that I would have had no qualms about doing. But other life changes happen and take you in different directions.

Last edited:
Yeah, for sure. My first job I was commuting 60 minutes each way. Traffic wasn't much of an issue and I was able to listen to audio digest while prepping for boards. Then I got tired of it and moved on

I love short commutes, ideally biking or walking. Personally I would take a meaningful income hit to maintain a short and low stress commute.

For the numbers you are putting out there (about 40 extra minutes of commuting each day given 20 minutes each way) :

40 min/d x 5 days/week x 48 weeks/year = 9600 mins, or 160 extra hours worked each year commuting.

$50,000 / 160 = $312.50 per hour, so it may actually be worth considering. That of course is not factoring in the cost of operating your vehicle, and only you know how much worse commuting would be in terms of a drain on you versus adding extra income by taking on extra hours.

Also keep in mind if you can bike to work your commute time is a lot more like zero because you are getting in a workout.

Reactions: 1 user
Usual commute has been 25-30 minutes, although in the last few years this had started to hit 40 minutes which I could only put down to our governments ill informed strategy of ramping up immigration to pump the GDP numbers.

With COVID19 traffic has dropped significantly and that time has cut by about half.

Had considered purchasing a house closer to work, but prices were exorbitant but with so many areas of the economy getting torched, I can't see how local property prices can be sustained.

30 minutes on a reverse commute. I actually like it, makes work and home feel very separate, and part of my drive is through a beautiful stretch of road in a densely wooded area. I think it's been good for my own mental health to have daily exposure to that.

5 Minute walk + 20 minute using the subway. Or 25 minute bike, might opt into biking now that winter is over.

Side note. My last job was a 2.5-3 hour drive (and around 2hours going back home)

Last edited:
non-pandemic time is 45 minutes; 25 minutes now. The 45 minutes sitting on the interstate is my absolute max because it drives me up the wall on teh way home with all the stop and go and wondering if an accident will make me late to daycare. We would prefer to live in the neighborhoods a bit further away from us when we eventually move to a different house, but they're in the wrong direction so I'm putting my foot down. Commute time is a huge quality of life consideration and 1.5 hours total for a 5 day a week job is a hard stop for me.

Time is money. Even a 1 hour total daily commute if your a contractor (160/hr on the low end) worker ends up being 8k in a year and for a private practice that one hour could be 3-4 patients so at a very minimum about 15k loss in private practice income.