ABCsMan

PGY1 prelim - Anesthesia
10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2007
Status (Visible)
advanced + categorical = 7 (but, only because my home institution is number 7)

About the Ads

TayShaun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
13 advanced & categorical; 9 different gas programs; 6 prelim programs.

it's a relief to have finally certified the rank list.

me454555

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2003
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
119 w/out transitional years. I think I win this poll. My g/f and I are doing a couples match so we need to rank all the different combos.

excalibur

15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
he didn't. Maybe he did like 30? But then, there are different combos he does with his g/f like the first 30 are "we both match at these schools", next 30 are "one matches, other doesn't at these schools", then "other matches, and one doesn't at these schools". I'm sure you add some advanced programs to go along with the categoricals and it gets even longer.

About the Ads

me454555

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2003
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
he didn't. Maybe he did like 30? But then, there are different combos he does with his g/f like the first 30 are "we both match at these schools", next 30 are "one matches, other doesn't at these schools", then "other matches, and one doesn't at these schools". I'm sure you add some advanced programs to go along with the categoricals and it gets even longer.

Exactly, I only interviewd @ 10 places, she interviewed at 9. Since we wanted to maximize our chances of matching we used every possibly combination. Theres 12 ways for me to fill my spots (10 programs + 1 unmatched + 1 program I had to rank 2x b/c of their 3 and 4 year curriculum = 12 different ranks) and 10 ways for her to fill hers. 12 X 10 is 120. So there were 120 different combinations we had to rank. We didn't bother to list both of us going unmatched so that left us w/a rank list 119 long.

excalibur

15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Exactly, I only interviewd @ 10 places, she interviewed at 9. Since we wanted to maximize our chances of matching we used every possibly combination. Theres 12 ways for me to fill my spots (10 programs + 1 unmatched + 1 program I had to rank 2x b/c of their 3 and 4 year curriculum = 12 different ranks) and 10 ways for her to fill hers. 12 X 10 is 120. So there were 120 different combinations we had to rank. We didn't bother to list both of us going unmatched so that left us w/a rank list 119 long.

I'm a bit confused though. It says you're in NY. Are all these NY programs? So are some of your choices, "I get matched at program A in NY, and she get matched at program D in NY?". I guess that works with the relative proxiimity of the NY programs if that's what you're doing.

That really doesn't work well here in Louisiana. Other than a couple of New Orleans or Baton Rouge programs, your other residency programs are like 5hrs drive away, which would defeat the whole purpose of the couples match.

Gern Blansten

Account on Hold
15+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2006
Northeast
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

Careful, one little slipup in your list and your rank lists become "uncoupled" making it impossible to match together at any program below the level where the slipup occurred. Sometimes getting too fancy can have its downsides.
Best of luck on a successful match.

me454555

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2003
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Careful, one little slipup in your list and your rank lists become "uncoupled" making it impossible to match together at any program below the level where the slipup occurred. Sometimes getting too fancy can have its downsides.
Best of luck on a successful match.

Well we double and triple checked it after ever run or programs. Every time we got to the next one we made sure out lists matched. You also have the option to view your significant others list as well so that helps too

error404

file not found
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
dunno. Totally torn.

A+C = 3 if I'm gusty (2 programs)
A+C = 5 if I add in somewhere with nice location but lesser (of the leet) program (3 programs)
A+C = 10 if I add in some excellent programs with poorer location (6 programs)
A+C = 13 if I'm cautious (9 programs)

11 prelim/transitionals to sort through too.

RxBoy

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
A+C = 20

16 Anesthesia Programs, 4 had both advanced and Categorical spots.

Supplemental= 6 (all TYs)...

Thats 22 interviews.... Talk about burning out.

RxBoy

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
dunno. Totally torn.

A+C = 3 if I'm gusty (2 programs)
A+C = 5 if I add in somewhere with nice location but lesser (of the leet) program (3 programs)
A+C = 10 if I add in some excellent programs with poorer location (6 programs)
A+C = 13 if I'm cautious (9 programs)

11 prelim/transitionals to sort through too.

I am curious... Why wouldn't you rank all your programs?? Would you rather go unmatched than go somewhere you love?

jetproppilot

Turboprop Driver
15+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
level at FL210
Status (Visible)

Only a ROUNDER coulda put that together.:D

About the Ads

bigdan

SDN Donor
15+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2002
Ann Arbor
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'm gonna rank every one. Should be 13 different anesthesiology programs with 5 different prelim programs, and I think that makes my ROL currently 21 places long.

dc

DO4lifer

Gold Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2008
USA
Status (Visible)
From the positive feedback, i should get my top 3. but i'll still rank everything and make use of my dime.

fakin' the funk

15+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
From the positive feedback, i should get my top 3. but i'll still rank everything and make use of my dime.

Curious - what kind of positive feedback do you have? The feeling on the interview day or via thank-you note replies? I'm waiting for another week or two to send my love letters(emails) and have folks call.

bigdan

SDN Donor
15+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2002
Ann Arbor
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

Based on NRMP statistics, most of us will get one of our top 3. I've been blown a lot of sunshine as well - phone calls, holiday cards, post cards, etc. I'm assuming a bunch of us are getting the exact same thing.

I'll believe the love when I see it.

dc

DO4lifer

Gold Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2008
USA
Status (Visible)
Curious - what kind of positive feedback do you have? The feeling on the interview day or via thank-you note replies? I'm waiting for another week or two to send my love letters(emails) and have folks call.

-one program i got the word on interview day and a personalized email later

another program, which isn't in my top 3, i got a personalized letter (handwritten by PD)

McSnappy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2007
Ask me later
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
A + C = 12
3 prelim.

As a second note to the thread... potential hijack in motion.

When do you write/email/call PD @ program of choice and let them know you love them?:love:
I was talking with some residents from the medicine dept and they said they all got together this weekend and put in their rank list and submitted it to the PD this AM. So, when does a program have to submit their list?

I'm thinking a hand written letter with an email shooter to follow.?

stargirl50

10+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Really, are a lot of you receiving all of this pre-match love yet?

I interviewed 10 places; got 2 letters which were pretty obviously form letters, an email and a phone call.

I'm sure it all depends where you interviewed. One PD made it clear to me that they don't initiate any communication after interviews, but not to take that as a bad sign.

My rank list= 10 categorical.

error404

file not found
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I am curious... Why wouldn't you rank all your programs?? Would you rather go unmatched than go somewhere you love?

I assume you mean, "would you rather go unmatched than go somewhere you DON'T love?"

I'm still trying to decide. I didn't interview anywhere I really detested, but I did spend some time at some not-so-incredibly-awesome programs which are competitive for other reasons, and really great programs in locations that don't work as well for my spouse. I'm just really into ending up somewhere I'm crazy about.

I've had great feedback from my top two, but I think ultimately I'll suck it up and rank places I'm less into anyways. Le sigh.

Gimlet

Cardiac Anesthesiologist
15+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Using all 20 spots on my list (8A+12C). Only one program I interviewed at won't make it on d/t space being limited.

Last edited:

CR7

15+ Year Member
May 9, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
A + C = 11

8 anesthesia

4 prelims

beavis

Fire is cool
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
A + C = 13

Prelim = 2

Lucky number 13!!

beav

AnesNavy

10+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
9C + 7A = 16
9 programs (didn't rank 2)
2 Prelim + 1 trans = 3 supp

:cool:

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.