How Long Is Your RankList?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coastie

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Advanced + Categorical = 15

Members don't see this ad.

Advanced + Categorical = 15

advanced + categorical = 7 (but, only because my home institution is number 7)

Members don't see this ad :)
13 advanced & categorical; 9 different gas programs; 6 prelim programs.

it's a relief to have finally certified the rank list.

119 w/out transitional years. I think I win this poll. My g/f and I are doing a couples match so we need to rank all the different combos.

he didn't. Maybe he did like 30? But then, there are different combos he does with his g/f like the first 30 are "we both match at these schools", next 30 are "one matches, other doesn't at these schools", then "other matches, and one doesn't at these schools". I'm sure you add some advanced programs to go along with the categoricals and it gets even longer.

Members don't see this ad :)
he didn't. Maybe he did like 30? But then, there are different combos he does with his g/f like the first 30 are "we both match at these schools", next 30 are "one matches, other doesn't at these schools", then "other matches, and one doesn't at these schools". I'm sure you add some advanced programs to go along with the categoricals and it gets even longer.

Exactly, I only interviewd @ 10 places, she interviewed at 9. Since we wanted to maximize our chances of matching we used every possibly combination. Theres 12 ways for me to fill my spots (10 programs + 1 unmatched + 1 program I had to rank 2x b/c of their 3 and 4 year curriculum = 12 different ranks) and 10 ways for her to fill hers. 12 X 10 is 120. So there were 120 different combinations we had to rank. We didn't bother to list both of us going unmatched so that left us w/a rank list 119 long.

Exactly, I only interviewd @ 10 places, she interviewed at 9. Since we wanted to maximize our chances of matching we used every possibly combination. Theres 12 ways for me to fill my spots (10 programs + 1 unmatched + 1 program I had to rank 2x b/c of their 3 and 4 year curriculum = 12 different ranks) and 10 ways for her to fill hers. 12 X 10 is 120. So there were 120 different combinations we had to rank. We didn't bother to list both of us going unmatched so that left us w/a rank list 119 long.

I'm a bit confused though. It says you're in NY. Are all these NY programs? So are some of your choices, "I get matched at program A in NY, and she get matched at program D in NY?". I guess that works with the relative proxiimity of the NY programs if that's what you're doing.

That really doesn't work well here in Louisiana. Other than a couple of New Orleans or Baton Rouge programs, your other residency programs are like 5hrs drive away, which would defeat the whole purpose of the couples match.

Careful, one little slipup in your list and your rank lists become "uncoupled" making it impossible to match together at any program below the level where the slipup occurred. Sometimes getting too fancy can have its downsides.
Best of luck on a successful match.

Careful, one little slipup in your list and your rank lists become "uncoupled" making it impossible to match together at any program below the level where the slipup occurred. Sometimes getting too fancy can have its downsides.
Best of luck on a successful match.

Well we double and triple checked it after ever run or programs. Every time we got to the next one we made sure out lists matched. You also have the option to view your significant others list as well so that helps too

dunno. Totally torn.

A+C = 3 if I'm gusty (2 programs)
A+C = 5 if I add in somewhere with nice location but lesser (of the leet) program (3 programs)
A+C = 10 if I add in some excellent programs with poorer location (6 programs)
A+C = 13 if I'm cautious (9 programs)

11 prelim/transitionals to sort through too.

A+C = 20

16 Anesthesia Programs, 4 had both advanced and Categorical spots.

Supplemental= 6 (all TYs)...

Thats 22 interviews.... Talk about burning out.

dunno. Totally torn.

A+C = 3 if I'm gusty (2 programs)
A+C = 5 if I add in somewhere with nice location but lesser (of the leet) program (3 programs)
A+C = 10 if I add in some excellent programs with poorer location (6 programs)
A+C = 13 if I'm cautious (9 programs)

11 prelim/transitionals to sort through too.

I am curious... Why wouldn't you rank all your programs?? Would you rather go unmatched than go somewhere you love?

Only a ROUNDER coulda put that together.:D

I'm gonna rank every one. Should be 13 different anesthesiology programs with 5 different prelim programs, and I think that makes my ROL currently 21 places long.

dc

From the positive feedback, i should get my top 3. but i'll still rank everything and make use of my dime.

From the positive feedback, i should get my top 3. but i'll still rank everything and make use of my dime.

Curious - what kind of positive feedback do you have? The feeling on the interview day or via thank-you note replies? I'm waiting for another week or two to send my love letters(emails) and have folks call.

Based on NRMP statistics, most of us will get one of our top 3. I've been blown a lot of sunshine as well - phone calls, holiday cards, post cards, etc. I'm assuming a bunch of us are getting the exact same thing.

I'll believe the love when I see it.

dc

Really, are a lot of you receiving all of this pre-match love yet?

Curious - what kind of positive feedback do you have? The feeling on the interview day or via thank-you note replies? I'm waiting for another week or two to send my love letters(emails) and have folks call.

-one program i got the word on interview day and a personalized email later

another program, which isn't in my top 3, i got a personalized letter (handwritten by PD)

A + C = 12
3 prelim.

As a second note to the thread... potential hijack in motion.

When do you write/email/call PD @ program of choice and let them know you love them?:love:
I was talking with some residents from the medicine dept and they said they all got together this weekend and put in their rank list and submitted it to the PD this AM. So, when does a program have to submit their list?

I'm thinking a hand written letter with an email shooter to follow.?

Really, are a lot of you receiving all of this pre-match love yet?

I interviewed 10 places; got 2 letters which were pretty obviously form letters, an email and a phone call.

I'm sure it all depends where you interviewed. One PD made it clear to me that they don't initiate any communication after interviews, but not to take that as a bad sign.

My rank list= 10 categorical.

I am curious... Why wouldn't you rank all your programs?? Would you rather go unmatched than go somewhere you love?

I assume you mean, "would you rather go unmatched than go somewhere you DON'T love?"

I'm still trying to decide. I didn't interview anywhere I really detested, but I did spend some time at some not-so-incredibly-awesome programs which are competitive for other reasons, and really great programs in locations that don't work as well for my spouse. I'm just really into ending up somewhere I'm crazy about.

I've had great feedback from my top two, but I think ultimately I'll suck it up and rank places I'm less into anyways. Le sigh.

Using all 20 spots on my list (8A+12C). Only one program I interviewed at won't make it on d/t space being limited.

Last edited:
A + C = 11

8 anesthesia

4 prelims

9C + 7A = 16
9 programs (didn't rank 2)
2 Prelim + 1 trans = 3 supp

:cool: