How long (realistically) can you wait to apply for a fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Doingmybest98

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all!
I am interested in applying for OB/GYN and I am also interested in applying for a maternal-fetal medicine fellowship once I complete residency. When looking at the different scholarships to pay for schools, I am really interested in doing a service scholarship and per the terms of the scholarship, if I were to specialize in MFM, I would not be eligible for the scholarship. In an effort to have the best of both worlds, are we able to wait a few years to apply for a fellowship or is it best to apply for a fellowship as soon as you finish residency?
 
Many people go back. It won’t be an issue even if it’s 5+ years

Edit: autocorrect
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've seen people go back 10 years later in IM subspecialties. Most of the time it doesn't happen because people don't want to sacrifice the money of an attending
That’s the biggest thing. I don’t think I could’ve gone back if I didn’t go straight through. Pay and relative autonomy of schedule.
 
That’s the biggest thing. I don’t think I could’ve gone back if I didn’t go straight through. Pay and relative autonomy of schedule.
Yes, too many of these attendings in fellowship treat the fellows like they're interns. It's not something I'd go back to
 
Yes, too many of these attendings in fellowship treat the fellows like they're interns. It's not something I'd go back to
Agreed. Was hard enough going from senior resident to intern 2.0 with how people treat you. Couldn’t imagine being an attending for any period of time in between.
 
Depends on how competitive the subspecialty is. For example, you’re not matching GI or cards 5 years out from residency. However, nephrology is easy to match for anybody