How long should i study before taking my first practice test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UT8305

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how long i should study before taking a practice test, should i go through the material once or should i take practice test all the time? i hate when i run into a PS or BS passage where i have no idea what their talking about and find myself guessing on the questions and then feeling doomed:scared:, so any tips from anybody who when from a below 20 on thier first diagnostic to a better score overall??

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering how long i should study before taking a practice test, should i go through the material once or should i take practice test all the time? i hate when i run into a PS or BS passage where i have no idea what their talking about and find myself guessing on the questions and then feeling doomed:scared:, so any tips from anybody who when from a below 20 on thier first diagnostic to a better score overall??

How many practice tests do you have available? How long before your test?

I would suggest an overview of the material, followed by lots and lots of practice tests with tons of review of the answers and in depth study of the passages that are still "clueless" to you (if you have a passage on light & optics that you feel is Greek, go review light & optics and do some problems on it)

I would hold off on the tests until you're done with content. However, if you want to take one, once you've finish 1/2-3/4 of your content review is a good spot. Only use 1-2 tests, if any, before you finish your content. While I don't suggest using your practice tests before you're finished with content review, I do advise taking tons of timed practice problems. So don't think you aren't getting in any practice while review the content because you'll be taking timed practice problems.